Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scribler
Binge Watcher

Why there is no Canadian version of Roku Ultra?

Roku Ultra in the top of line device from Roku.  It has some unique features not available on other Roku devices, such as wired network connectivity, USB port for playing local media etc.  It is also physically the largest sized device from Roku which makes you wonder what else is in there?

So why does Roku not sell this device in Canada? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why there is no Canadian version of Roku Ultra?

@scribler 

The two primary factors in any company selling an item in any particular region is how well the item is expected to sell, and the difficulty in getting an item approved through regulatory processes. I don't think language would be an issue, as Roku already sells in France, so including French language documentation would not be an extreme burden.

If Roku thought that the Ultra would sell well enough to offset the expense and problems with governmental approval (IC/ISED), they would sell it there.

I won't go into the government section too much. That could open up a whole side conversation on regulation, and this isn't the forum for that. Just know that dealing with government regulation does factor in.

The other part is strictly business. Would the Ultra increase overall sales, or simply shift sales from a more profitable, cheaper device? There are a whole ton of questions that Roku does its best to answer, imperfectly, before setting aside a large amount of resources to manufacture and market an item.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
scribler
Binge Watcher

There are Roku consumers who are fans of Ultra and want to utilize these features, so they end up ordering it from US or, even worse, move on to another device offering these features.

Importing a device from US prevents user from utilizing some key features like the channel buttons on the remote, and Roku looses potential revenue from these channel buttons for Canadian channels.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@scribler 

Right. But is it enough? Roku has analytics regarding what devices are used, and where. If Roku thought the Ultra would sell well enough to offset the government and marketing expenses, Roku would sell it there.

Who knows, they may be in the process of trying to roll it out. But there's the whole government approval thing to deal with. That's expensive and time consuming. If Roku even thinks the increase in sales would make it a good business decision.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

geoffinbc

Just buy one off Amazon. Works exactly the same with all the benefits the Ultra offers. I have 3 all hard wired

0 Kudos
DBDukes

The Roku Ultra is now sold in Canada.

https://www.roku.com/en-ca/products/roku-ultra

DBDukes

0 Kudos