Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwarnerj23

Why should I buy the soon to premiere streaming 4K device when my tv is not capable of airing 4K?

Other than the speech capable remote, do I need this?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why should I buy the soon to premiere streaming 4K device when my tv is not capable of airing 4K

Well, you may purchase a 4K TV in the future, so you would be ready for it with the Express+ (I assume that's the upcoming player you are referring to).

As to any other reason, that would depend on the player you have now. The newest players are more powerful and some have more memory than older players. As providers continue to update their apps on the Roku, they continue to push the limits of the hardware, and older players either have problems or simply won't work with them any longer. With my old Roku 2 XS, YouTube became impossible to use, and most of the newest channels won't even install on it. That's why it just sits in a drawer unused, it simply can't hack it any longer. 

So, if your current Roku is an older model (forget when you bought it, it's the generation of the player that's important). The 5th generation players are now 5 years old, but for the most part they still work OK. The players currently available are considered 9th generation, and the newest models just announced will likely be considered 10th generation. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why should I buy the soon to premiere streaming 4K device when my tv is not capable of airing 4K

As @atc98092 mentioned, there are some reasons to consider. And, as he said, if you have a Roku that works fine, there is no need to upgrade. Unless you want to.

I had 4K Roku devices before I had a 4K TV. Why? The other features of the device. I personally don't like the IR remotes -- personal preference there -- so I buy the devices with the fancier remote, the remotes that control my TV power and volume. It just so happened those devices were 4K. Didn't matter, and didn't hurt anything. 

But running out to buy one just because? Sure, if you want, but the reason would be "just because," which is as good a reason as any.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."