Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ed54
Channel Surfer

Why is bit rate screen disabled?

Bit rate screen no longer accessible

10 REPLIES 10
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Why is bit rate screen disabled?

Most channels have bandwidth limits from within there settings 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

What bit rate screen? The Roku itself has never had one. Netflix used to have a hidden info screen, but it went away several years ago. YouTube has "stats for geeks" that can be enabled from within a playing video. I know of no other channel that has ever had a bitrate display.

If you are referring to the Roku "secret" menu that had a bitrate setting, it went away long ago because it no longer worked when streaming providers switched to adaptive streaming. The setting had no impact on adaptive streaming bitrates. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: WHY IS BIT RATE SCREEN DISABLED

For years people have been complaining that that screen didn't work or didn't save values, and for years Roku replied that that secret screen was only for specific internal testing, wasn't expected to control most modern channels, etc.  So, I guess they finally got tired of explaining that and either got rid of it entirely or hid it much better than before. Smiley Very Happy

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@atc98092  exactly. Disney+ adjusts bandwidth according to your connection speed. But you can select how much or how little you want to use. If you leave it they way it comes it will auto adjust if you have enough bandwidth. I love watching Shang Chi in full 4K. I have 500 Mbps and my Roku TV gets about 200 Mbps. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, there are some providers that have a method of setting a max bitrate. But those settings are not within the Roku or the channel on the Roku. You have to log into your user account for that provider (such as Netflix) and make the setting there on the web site. It then is applied to any method/player used to view the media.

Dan

Ed54
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your replies. Roku seems kind of sketchy lately. Just a feeling.

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Explain how a million dollar corporation such as Roku is sketchy? There was never an official way to control bitrate. 90% of Roku users never even knew about it. Times change. Things advance. No biggie. 

0 Kudos
VegasJenks

Incorrect.  My main application is Sling and it does have its' own setting.  However, I also sometimes use ESPN+, Paramount+, Peacock+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, etc.  I have found no such settings within those applications and others.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@VegasJenks we have no idea who you're responding to. Exactly what are you saying is incorrect?

Dan

0 Kudos