Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
POBoling
Level 8

Why is Roku avoiding customers?

Jump to solution

I am having trouble with 2 Roku Ultras and can not find a way to get support. 

The last time I experienced a company  that acted this way it was Research In Motion. They did the same kind of avoid, delay, ignore, and blame shift. As I predicted then, we probably won't see as many Blackberrys. I sold my stock in RIM. I am now questioning if Roku is now following the same customer service trend as RIM. 

Someone let me know do I need to sell my Roku stock.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
R-3Dreadnought
Level 9

Re: Why is Roku avoiding customers?

Jump to solution

I don’t think they really care.  I was very impressed with my Roku Ultra out of the box, then they began hitting it with the software updates.  9.2.0 rendered it virtually inoperable for months.  They eventually fixed the bugs with 9.2.0 only to roll out 9.3.0 with more bugs.  Then they wrecked Roku Media player shortly thereafter with another software update.

They have lost me, but I am also thankful that Roku went south before I bought a 65" Roku Smart TV.  I thought the idea of a Roku smart tv was pretty cool since it would eliminate the need for a separate streaming device.  It never occurred to me that the company could turn my new TV into a brick via software update without my knowledge or consent. 

Many thanks to Roku for the valuable lesson!

p.s. I disconnected my Ultra from the internet when they rolled back Roku Media Player from version 5.0 to version 4.x.  So this portion of my Ultra is still useable.  I use an Amazon fire TV for streaming.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Psilobite
Level 11

Jump to solution

Personally, I would sell.

My analysis at this point is if HBO Max and Peacock were added right now, and Roku Media Player was fixed 100% right now, it would take somewhere between 6 - 12 months for them to earn back some decent level of trust from their customer base, to the point where they could at least be a top streaming platform again.

But that's not likely to happen, and besides that, it probably already *is* too late at this point. Too much of their customer base has lost confidence and trust in Roku as a neutral streaming platform. (It was the fact that they were a neutral streaming platform that lead to their growth and popularity.)

I don't think they are going to be able to recover from this.

R-3Dreadnought
Level 9

Jump to solution

I don’t think they really care.  I was very impressed with my Roku Ultra out of the box, then they began hitting it with the software updates.  9.2.0 rendered it virtually inoperable for months.  They eventually fixed the bugs with 9.2.0 only to roll out 9.3.0 with more bugs.  Then they wrecked Roku Media player shortly thereafter with another software update.

They have lost me, but I am also thankful that Roku went south before I bought a 65" Roku Smart TV.  I thought the idea of a Roku smart tv was pretty cool since it would eliminate the need for a separate streaming device.  It never occurred to me that the company could turn my new TV into a brick via software update without my knowledge or consent. 

Many thanks to Roku for the valuable lesson!

p.s. I disconnected my Ultra from the internet when they rolled back Roku Media Player from version 5.0 to version 4.x.  So this portion of my Ultra is still useable.  I use an Amazon fire TV for streaming.

View solution in original post

POBoling
Level 8

Jump to solution

Why is Roku still quite last update really messing up the ultras. The only solution seems to be do not use Roku. 

0 Kudos