Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbg1
Level 7

Why is OS 9.0 Rollout Taking So Long?

I have three Roku 3.0's and one Roku Ultra, and none of them have updated to the latest OS!  Therefore, I am unable to take advantage of the new Spotify channel.  This is outrageous that Roku treats a longtime customer with multiple devices by delaying a critical update.  Almost at the point of trashing my Roku's for something with more efficient updates and a company with upfront communication!
0 Kudos
14 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Why is OS 9.0 Rollout Taking So Long?

"tbg1" wrote:
I have three Roku 3.0's and one Roku Ultra, and none of them have updated to the latest OS!  Therefore, I am unable to take advantage of the new Spotify channel.  This is outrageous that Roku treats a longtime customer with multiple devices by delaying a critical update.  Almost at the point of trashing my Roku's for something with more efficient updates and a company with upfront communication!

For a long-time Roku user, you have a short memory. Roku has always rolled out major releases over extended periods. They communicated the release would be rolled out from November through the next quarter. You may not get it until March. Or you may get it tonight. Just like it’s been for years.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 7

You really think Roku can identify customers by length of use and targets them to be updated first? The updates are done at random, probably by geographic area or possibly by serial number, but I seriously doubt they can even identify a customer's equipment by how long they have had it in use and target them specifically for an update.
0 Kudos
tbg1
Level 7

Then perhaps Roku needs to scale up so they can update everybody at once!  Seems pretty logical of a request.  Complete nonsense!
0 Kudos
tbg1
Level 7

"Miami Son" wrote:
You really think Roku can identify customers by length of use and targets them to be updated first? The updates are done at random, probably by geographic area or possibly by serial number, but I seriously doubt they can even identify a customer's equipment by how long they have had it in use and target them specifically for an update.

Of course they can.  My online account lists all my devices and date of activation.  This isn't rocket science.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 10

"tbg1" wrote:
Then perhaps Roku needs to scale up so they can update everybody at once!  Seems pretty logical of a request.  Complete nonsense!

Just what Roku needs: A bug causing EVERY Roku to be bricked at the same time...
0 Kudos
tbg1
Level 7

"andyross" wrote:
"tbg1" wrote:

Just what Roku needs: A bug causing EVERY Roku to be bricked at the same time...

So we should wait as long as 5 months (Nov 1st thru Q1 2019) to get an update?  That is just ridiculous.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Not ridiculous.. cautious.. and it's very smart to roll out updates cautiously.

First world problems.. sheesh.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

"tbg1" wrote:
 Almost at the point of trashing my Roku's 

I say do it!
SoundBridge M500 (retired), PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired), Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2, Roku 2, Roku Ultra
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 7

"tbg1" wrote:
Of course they can.  My online account lists all my devices and date of activation.  This isn't rocket science.

Actually, it is. What if they release to all and it bricks about half of their users and cause problems for another 25%? The resources needed to fix them would be enormous and there would be a lot of pissed off users. By going slow and randomly they can review any issues or bug reports manageably and fix them rather than having to deal with them en mass. 
0 Kudos