Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Level 8

Re: Why doesn't the Roku Stick support an Ethernet Adapter?

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"andyross" wrote:
My general thinking is that if a network device is used in a fixed location, it should use wired Ethernet. Leave WiFi for portable devices.

I don't know about you, but I have plenty of fixed locations in my house that I can't easily run a wire to. This is especially true for people who can't/won't/don't want to pull up carpet or drill holes in walls. Most users use wifi with no issues.

Do these places have power outlet nearby? If so, powerline network adapter.
Is there a cable box nearby? If so, many of them these days function as a switch, check if plugging into an empty Ethernet socket works. DirecTV runs network over coax and some of the DVRs can be (ab)used as de-facto hub.

The request here would be for enabling USB network adapters for Sticks just like that was done for RokuTV. No wheel to reinvent.
This btw under the doctrine of "if people want to spend money pimping up their equipment - let them, even if it makes no logical sense" Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 9

"EnTerr" wrote:
"mikebdoss" wrote:
"andyross" wrote:
My general thinking is that if a network device is used in a fixed location, it should use wired Ethernet. Leave WiFi for portable devices.

I don't know about you, but I have plenty of fixed locations in my house that I can't easily run a wire to. This is especially true for people who can't/won't/don't want to pull up carpet or drill holes in walls. Most users use wifi with no issues.

Do these places have power outlet nearby? If so, powerline network adapter.
Is there a cable box nearby? If so, many of them these days function as a switch, check if plugging into an empty Ethernet socket works. DirecTV runs network over coax and some of the DVRs can be (ab)used as de-facto hub.

The request here would be for enabling USB network adapters for Sticks just like that was done for RokuTV. Not a big project.

Why spend money on even MORE hardware when the wireless adapters work just fine for most people?  I fully realize some people have wireless issues, but there are also a lot of people who just don't want to use it for some strange bias - they'd rather drill holes or buy more equipment instead of even considering wifi. 
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

"mikebdoss" wrote:
Why spend money on even MORE hardware when the wireless adapters work just fine for most people?  I fully realize some people have wireless issues, but there are also a lot of people who just don't want to use it for some strange bias - they'd rather drill holes or buy more equipment instead of even considering wifi. 

Were you to wait a minute before replying, you'd seen what i added above: This btw under the doctrine of "if people want to spend money pimping up their equipment - let them, even if it makes no logical sense" Smiley Happy

The Co can even collect some of the rent. :mrgreen: Have you heard this joke:
A neurotic is a man who builds a castle in the air.
A psychotic is the man who lives in it.
A psychiatrist is the man who collects the rent.
0 Kudos
niaxilin
Level 8

Amazon Fire Stick offers Ethernet via their USB charging port for $15. They also support many other USB On-The-Go (OTG) dongles. https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Ethernet-Adapter-Fire-Devices/dp/B074TC662N

Google Chromecast also does this for $15. https://store.google.com/us/product/ethernet_adapter_for_chromecast?hl=en-US

I've held off on buying Roku devices for our five TVs because I'd have to buy the expensive Ultra. My house already has Ethernet to every TV. We need Ethernet because we have so many TVs and devices and the WiFi is already saturated in our area.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"atc98092" wrote:
"mikebdoss" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
Every Roku with an Ethernet jack only supports 100BaseT, or 100 Mbps speed. 802.11N Wi-Fi supports up to three times that speed or more. Why bother with Ethernet, especially since the Stick is such a small form factor and is designed to plug directly into the set? You'd have to have another cable snaking up the wall.

Now, I personally prefer using wired Ethernet over Wi-Fi, but I can certainly understand the decision for wireless only for the Stick.

Speed is irrelevant here - nothing streaming even comes close to 100Mbps, and generally wireless interference means getting 300Mbps is a pipe dream except in really clean environments (and again, isn't needed because nothing is streaming at those speeds).

True, although I do have some HD movies on my server that approach 50 Mbps, so depending on my local network traffic 100BaseT might cause a bottleneck. And I agree with 300Mbps wireless is one of those nice marketing lines that seldom mean anything real world. Smiley LOL

And I do prefer wired since there's no authentication protocols interfering with the connection. Although overall 802.11N seems to be doing a reasonable job of maximizing thoughtput.

It's important to note that advertised wifi speeds are the max possible aggregate of both directions. So wireless N300 is really 150 down max.
0 Kudos
dwengert
Level 7

I have worked in the industry for about 25 years and have degrees in CS and EET.  My LAN has two APs running DD-WRT on non-overlapping frequencies. My three TVs were 1080p.  There are four users in the house and two of them are teenagers.  This is my experience. 

We had a Chromecast stick and we had cable TV and then we decided to cut some cords. We bought three Roku Sticks. We assumed the frequent "waiting" state and the occasional dropped connection were just an inevitable reality.  I became accustomed to rebooting my routers and cable modem daily, since that seemed to help the issue temporarily.

Then we rotated TVs to put the smallest in our oldest son's room, got a 4K Roku TV and connected it with An Ethernet cable.  MAGIC!  No more connection issues.  Channel changes in 5 seconds versus 20 seconds.  Then, we got a Roku Ultimate+ console on Black Friday.  MORE MAGIC!

So, I researched connecting my remaining Roku Sticks via Ethernet cable.  WHAT?  IT DOESN'T?  This is a monumental design fail.

Perhaps they are trying to motivate users to replace the inexpensive stick with a more expensive console.  Like most users, I can get by just fine casting in a most cases.  Also, I plan to add a Plex server in the near future.  I'll save the $70 and buy a streaming stick from any stick manufacturer other than Roku to get the job done because Roku's stick is the ONLY one that can't do the job.
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

I don't think there is any nefarious plan to get people to buy the higher model at play here, especially since it was their choice to make such an advanced Stick+ with 4K.  Also remember that they did make the new Stick+ with a better wireless antenna.

I think it's simply the fact that very few people want to connect with ethernet, and those who do have a choice to buy the STB model which can still be mounted behind the TV.

We use multiple Roku Sticks at the same time as well as computers, phones, and tablets.  The network is all wireless thru my 1 Apple Airport and there is never an issue at all.
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

"dwengert" wrote:
I have worked in the industry for about 25 years and have degrees in CS and EET.  My LAN has two APs running DD-WRT on non-overlapping frequencies. My three TVs were 1080p.  There are four users in the house and two of them are teenagers.  This is my experience. 

We had a Chromecast stick and we had cable TV and then we decided to cut some cords. We bought three Roku Sticks. We assumed the frequent "waiting" state and the occasional dropped connection were just an inevitable reality.  I became accustomed to rebooting my routers and cable modem daily, since that seemed to help the issue temporarily.

Then we rotated TVs to put the smallest in our oldest son's room, got a 4K Roku TV and connected it with An Ethernet cable.  MAGIC!  No more connection issues.  Channel changes in 5 seconds versus 20 seconds.  Then, we got a Roku Ultimate+ console on Black Friday.  MORE MAGIC!

So, I researched connecting my remaining Roku Sticks via Ethernet cable.  WHAT?  IT DOESN'T?  This is a monumental design fail.

Perhaps they are trying to motivate users to replace the inexpensive stick with a more expensive console.  Like most users, I can get by just fine casting in a most cases.  Also, I plan to add a Plex server in the near future.  I'll save the $70 and buy a streaming stick from any stick manufacturer other than Roku to get the job done because Roku's stick is the ONLY one that can't do the job.

Could be your Router. Ever since I went from my ol TP-Link 1043ND Router to a newer Asus AC68U dual band router both 2.4ghz and 5ghz work flawlessly. Er IMO Asus is the best Router brand I have used.... I also hear good things about the Netgear Nighthawks....
Now I still want an option to wire my media devices though. If Chromecast can offer an usb Ethernet Power Adapter then so can Roku.
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

"Crow550" wrote:

Now I still want an option to wire my media devices though. If Chromecast can offer an usb Ethernet Power Adapter then so can Roku.

They do give you the option of an ethernet port, on the STB models.
The 2 Stick models don't have it available, no reason for it.  
Unlike the Chromecast and Fire, Roku makes many different style models, so there is never a need for ethernet on the Stick.
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

"Streams" wrote:
"Crow550" wrote:

They do give you the option of an ethernet port, on the STB models.
The 2 Stick models don't have it available, no reason for it.  
Unlike the Chromecast and Fire, Roku makes many different style models, so there is never a need for ethernet on the Stick.

Yes there is. Maybe all I want is a small stick and not a bulky box.... However this is something up to Roku to offer....
I'd also like an option to purchase a new remote with power and volume too.... They could add these in the Roku store but I am not just pitching ideas....
However these days I'm not going to sweat it much as 5ghz is sufficient enough in most cases.
0 Kudos