Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niaxilin
Level 8

Re: Why doesn't the Roku Stick support an Ethernet Adapter?

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
Thank you, regressive millennials.

Even the Roku forums have trolls Smiley Happy
0 Kudos

"Streams" wrote:
"2pints" wrote:
Roku currently offer two models, the express, and Stick+ neither of them appear to have ethernet

Roku offers 5 models, not 2.   The Express, Express+, the Stick, Stick+, and the Ultra.  The Ultra has ethernet.
As others have mentioned, wireless works excellent.  I don't even have multiple access points, just one.  And I stream to 3 Rokus while people are using computers, phones, and tablets and never an issue.
If you have any worries, I would get the Stick+.  It has better wireless than the normal Stick.  

Not in the UK, where 2pints is based. It's the same issue for me, I needed a streaming device for the one TV that is missing the smart apps we need. The wifi is terrible (stone walls in a very old house kill all wireless signal) and simply doesn't work, but Ethernet is available via a powerline adapter and is flawless. Roku does not provide an option at the moment, only the Express and Stick+ are available in the UK. The Premier and Ultra have never been officially available and the Roku 3 was still a current model until October (also the improved stick 3600 was never released here, so there's been a jump from the terribly slow 3500 to the new Stick+).

It means the if Ethernet is required, Roku is not an option. I've bought an Amazon Fire stick for £25 on the black Friday deal, with the Ethernet adapter for £14, £39 all in. Works like a charm. Roku simply doesn't have a competing product here so right now it's the option I recommend to friends in the UK (that and the one OTA catchup app simply is not available on Roku whereas Amazon has it (despite my requesting it twice in 2 consecutive quarterly request threads).

"Streams" wrote:
"Crow550" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:
"Crow550" wrote:

Now I still want an option to wire my media devices though. If Chromecast can offer an usb Ethernet Power Adapter then so can Roku.

They do give you the option of an ethernet port, on the STB models.
The 2 Stick models don't have it available, no reason for it.  
Unlike the Chromecast and Fire, Roku makes many different style models, so there is never a need for ethernet on the Stick.

Yes there is. Maybe all I want is a small stick and not a bulky box....

The STB is NOT bulky.  And when it's attached behind the TV, you won't know the difference between it and the Stick.  

You're making the assumption that it's easy to attach it behind the TV - my Roku 3 is light but won't attach without tape, glue, or a VESA mount, all at extra cost. That can also hurt wifi performance, making Ethernet even more of a requirement.

"Streams" wrote:
"Crow550" wrote:

Now I still want an option to wire my media devices though. If Chromecast can offer an usb Ethernet Power Adapter then so can Roku.

They do give you the option of an ethernet port, on the STB models.
The 2 Stick models don't have it available, no reason for it.  
Unlike the Chromecast and Fire, Roku makes many different style models, so there is never a need for ethernet on the Stick.

There's 2 version of the Fire TV - neither has Ethernet built in but both support the adapter. There's nothing stopping Roku from going the same route and doing the same. If they're happy to not bundle the HDMI extender in the box but are happy to ship it at no cost on request, surely there's a market for making fewer devices and selling Ethernet as an optional extra for those who want it. If Amazon can do that, there's no reason that Roku can't do the same with just 2 or 3 models (express with analogue cables, 1080p streaming stick, 4k HDR stick/box). I'd argue that if the premiere range has been consolidated in with the ultra, it's possible for Roku to release 3 good devices and more importantly release them to all countries where Roku choose to operate, rather than those outside of the US getting a poorer choice of products to choose from.
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

Good points. I forgot Amazon's Fire TV line also had usb Ethernet power adapters as well.

They also sell Wifi Access Point Powerline Adapters which have 2.4ghz & 5ghz for places like you mentioned with really thick walls.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I was going to suggest the same as crow: to add access points in the home, using powerline adapters to connect to the main router. You get a double benefit in providing better wireless throughout your home. But of course it comes at a cost. I don't know how much the Ethernet adapter is for a Fire TV, but you have to consider that cost as well. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

So... none of the USB to Ethernet adapters like the UGreen or anything work for Roku sticks? 

I am in this boat because I recently relocated to Spain where basically ALL the houses are brick/plaster walls inside.  My signal literally is trash anywhere not within LoS of the router.  I am getting powerline adapters for my computers and devices that have Ethernet such as my FireTV but I'd really love to be able to go with the Rokus I already have (stick+ and three 3600s) and upgrade them for $12 each.  Not spending $100 per Roku for the Ultras just to get Ethernet ports. 
And I have tried repeaters...  the walls are so bad that I'd need to get powerline adapters with their own built in repeaters which probably is the option I'm going to have to go with if I want to stick with Roku and the Ethernet ports are not available. 
0 Kudos
rccryan
Level 7

scottydsntknow wrote:
So... none of the USB to Ethernet adapters like the UGreen or anything work for Roku sticks? 

Looks like that's the case, and it's really unfortunate! I'm in a similar boat, but at my place, there's so much RF interference that I can't use the remote from more than about 5 feet away. I really liked the Roku interface, but $100 for the privilege of an Ethernet option is just unacceptable. It looks like I'll have to give up on Roku and get something else.
0 Kudos

I went to powerline/Ethernet adapters when my Roku refused to stay connected to my WiFi router...which is only 10-12 feet away. I tried on both 2.4 and 5 gHz, and it was just not reliable. Mind you, we have plenty of WiFi-connected devices in the house and the only one that has ever had a problem is the Roku Ultra. Since I put it on Ethernet a year ago, it has never had a problem. As some point out, theoretical speeds have no bearing on reality. I've checked the actual available speeds on my Ethernet "network" with an app on my laptop. The connection between my router and my Ultra is good for between 600 and 850 mbps, while the connection between my router and my new TCL Roku TV on the second floor is still good for 350 mbps...which is about 20 times more than I would need to stream 4k. A pair of the adapters that I am using...which, by all of the reviews I could find, are the best currently available...are going for about $90 on Amazon. Now that I have my router connected to my house's wiring, I have Ethernet available at every 120V outlet. It's not just for the Roku anymore, it's for anything "internet". These connections are completely reliable at all times.  I no longer have to think/worry about my Roku's WiFi connection...and that's why I bypassed the rinky-dink WiFi built into my Roku.
0 Kudos