Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crow550
Level 7

Why doesn't the Roku Stick support an Ethernet Adapter?

The Chromecast does. A usb Ethernet / Power adapter.

Yes I know they have other Roku models with Ethernet but the stick is so small and powerful....

Would be cool to offer....

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
36 Replies
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Why doesn't the Roku Stick support an Ethernet Adapter?

Every Roku with an Ethernet jack only supports 100BaseT, or 100 Mbps speed. 802.11N Wi-Fi supports up to three times that speed or more. Why bother with Ethernet, especially since the Stick is such a small form factor and is designed to plug directly into the set? You'd have to have another cable snaking up the wall.

Now, I personally prefer using wired Ethernet over Wi-Fi, but I can certainly understand the decision for wireless only for the Stick.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"Crow550" wrote:
The Chromecast does. A usb Ethernet / Power adapter.

Yes I know they have other Roku models with Ethernet but the stick is so small and powerful....

Would be cool to offer....

It's an adapter that probably less than 3% of their user base would buy. There's just no money there.
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

This is what the Chromecast (works on both models) one looks like: https://store.google.com/product/ethern ... chromecast

Doesn't add anymore clutter. Still a long USB cable to a power brick with a Ethernet cable.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
Every Roku with an Ethernet jack only supports 100BaseT, or 100 Mbps speed. 802.11N Wi-Fi supports up to three times that speed or more. Why bother with Ethernet, especially since the Stick is such a small form factor and is designed to plug directly into the set? You'd have to have another cable snaking up the wall.

Now, I personally prefer using wired Ethernet over Wi-Fi, but I can certainly understand the decision for wireless only for the Stick.

Speed is irrelevant here - nothing streaming even comes close to 100Mbps, and generally wireless interference means getting 300Mbps is a pipe dream except in really clean environments (and again, isn't needed because nothing is streaming at those speeds).
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Speed is irrelevant here - nothing streaming even comes close to 100Mbps, and generally wireless interference means getting 300Mbps is a pipe dream except in really clean environments (and again, isn't needed because nothing is streaming at those speeds).

True, although I do have some HD movies on my server that approach 50 Mbps, so depending on my local network traffic 100BaseT might cause a bottleneck. And I agree with 300Mbps wireless is one of those nice marketing lines that seldom mean anything real world. Smiley LOL

And I do prefer wired since there's no authentication protocols interfering with the connection. Although overall 802.11N seems to be doing a reasonable job of maximizing thoughtput.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

I tried the Chromecast adapter as I have two of them on the Roku Stick. It powered it fine but it ignored the Ethernet connection and just ran wireless like any other USB power source.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

"reddice" wrote:
I tried the Chromecast adapter as I have two of them on the Roku Stick. It powered it fine but it ignored the Ethernet connection and just ran wireless like any other USB power source.

What? I never said it would work. Smiley Tongue Were you just trying just for the heck of it?

If Chromecast can come out with an update to support something like that I'm sure Roku could as well....

I'd snag a Stick next if it had that feature since again it still takes up no room and I like to keep my network wired as much as possible. I know the boxes have an Ethernet port too. However again the stick is still smaller. Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

My general thinking is that if a network device is used in a fixed location, it should use wired Ethernet. Leave WiFi for portable devices.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 9

"andyross" wrote:
My general thinking is that if a network device is used in a fixed location, it should use wired Ethernet. Leave WiFi for portable devices.

I don't know about you, but I have plenty of fixed locations in my house that I can't easily run a wire to. This is especially true for people who can't/won't/don't want to pull up carpet or drill holes in walls. Most users use wifi with no issues.
0 Kudos