Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonathanr
Binge Watcher

Why does Roku override my screensaver preferences

Jump to solution

I use the Roku clock screensaver for years now. Recently however Roku has been overriding my screensaver preference with a purple font Roku logo screensaver, I think it's called raining logos, I'm not certain. Why is Roku overriding my own screen shot preferences these last two weeks? The purple font screensaver is causing me problems (long story but I"m sensitive to that color). 

The only solution I've found to this is to disable screensavers entirely but that's really a last resort. Any insight or suggestions is appreciated, I don't think I can delete the purple font screensaver from the device. Rebooting the device etc didn't make a difference. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Why does Roku override my screensaver preferences

Jump to solution

I've seen a Purple Roku screen saver - and yes - I think it may be in Prime where I see it.  You could look for a setting within Prime.  Otherwise, you could tell Amazon that you don't like it, and something may (or may not) be done about it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jonathanr 

If you leave an app open -- not streaming, just open -- and the Roku goes into screensaver mode, it is possible that the app will either use its own screen saver, or an installed screensaver apart from your standard one. The raining logos is one that I've seen apps use. And that's not a new thing, I've seen that for some time.

Now, not all apps behave this way, but those that do always do it. But, if I'm on my Home Screen, I always get me chosen screensaver kicking in.

All that to say it's the app doing it. Probably after an app update.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Jonathanr
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

interesting - generally what happens is I fall asleep during a show I am watching, often on Amazon Prime Video, I guess that is what you mean by an app. So, after that show ends, it winds up in the Amazon app interface. I guess you are saying that from there, it might not go back to my chosen screensaver but to a different one. Interesting. I suspect there is nothing I can do inside of Amazon Prime to prevent that from happening. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I've seen a Purple Roku screen saver - and yes - I think it may be in Prime where I see it.  You could look for a setting within Prime.  Otherwise, you could tell Amazon that you don't like it, and something may (or may not) be done about it.

Jonathanr
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

thanks! yes, the biggest thing I don't like is Amazon overriding my screensaver preferences....  🙂   I went into Prime and don't see any settings that address this, I guess I'll contact Amazon directly. I don't like my chances there of getting any change to happen, but it's helpful I guess to know....

0 Kudos
Jonathanr
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

closing the loop on this and thanks all for the help. I have determined this issue is specific to Prime (I guess it may happen in other apps, I don't know, but it definitely happens in Prime which I use the most). I have alerted Amazon tech support that Prime overrides the default screen saver selection users make in Roku. If this ever gets fixed I'll report back. 

0 Kudos
krispyonion
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi! It's not a Prime thing. It's intentional Roku behavior to use Logo Rain when video is paused in an app (if the app doesn't have its own screensaver), regardless of your settings.

The explanation I eventually got (not from Roku, so take it with a grain of salt) was that your Roku is still technically active when paused, so it reaches for the designated low-resource screensaver, rather than the user-set default.

Sorry, there's no fix, because that's how they want it to work.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@krispyonion 

That's not a universal truth. Some apps do resort to the default screen saver. Some app have their own screen saver option. However, Roku may indeed do what you describe for those that don't have a certain coding, or as a fall-back if resources are low.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
krispyonion
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Dude, you can argue it out with the Roku employee who told me it was the intended behavior. I'm just trying to let OP know that it's not an error/glitch that Prime can fix.

ETA in case it needs to be clarified: a Roku employee confirmed the Roku's supposed to be showing Logo Rain, not your selected 'default' screensaver, but could not tell me why. The explanation that LR is low-resources screensaver set as a true default came from a forum discussion elsewhere.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@krispyonion 

I'm not going to argue anything. I will, however, tell you how my stuff works. And it's as described. Some stuff goes to the Roku screensaver, and some stuff goes to an app defined screensaver (where you pick the screensaver from within the app), and some use a simple screensaver such as your contact described. I really don't care what someone says will happen; I know what actually happens on my Roku devices.

DBDukes

0 Kudos