Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gerald4

Why can't I find the Disney Plus channel on my Roku device? (Based in Austria)

Hello, I am in Austria and want to watch Disney Plus what is not displayed in the channel store now I have called Disney who say it must work. I don't have an ipv6, have a Roku Express, a Roku account and a Disney Plus subscription.
I only bought that **bleep** for Disney Plus and if that doesn't work, I'll give it back right away.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Why can't I find the Disney Plus channel on my Roku device? (Based in Austria)

Where did you buy it? Don't think Roku is officially for sale in Austria yet, only a few European countries.

Not all channels are available on all devices or in all countries.  Channel operators choice, and Disney support may not have told you right answer.

Not a Roku employee
strange_guy
Channel Surfer

Re: Why can't I find the Disney Plus channel on my Roku device? (Based in Austria)

Hi Gerald,

I hope you got Disney Plus to work and kept the Roku. 

If you still have the Roku I would appreciate your help. I'm Austrian too and would like to know what Roku services work in Austria. I mainly need Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the ability to use airplay. If those three work then I'd be pretty happy. I'd appreciate any feedback you have.

Thank you and all the best,

Christian

0 Kudos

I also purchased a ROKU Express 4k today and couldn't find Disney+ and Amazon Prime. Therefore, the device is entirely useless for me and will be returned. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Philipp_1975PB wrote:

I also purchased a ROKU Express 4k today and couldn't find Disney+ and Amazon Prime. Therefore, the device is entirely useless for me and will be returned. 

One should never buy a device that's not supported in their region. Whatever device you do purchase, do the research to know if it's supported there.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Disney+ and Prime are available on all major Streaming Devices in Austria. There was no reason to do extra research if Roku has those services if they use it actively for advertising. 

Kindly be a smart a.. somewhere else. Roku has done a bad job in advertising and failed to inform. But not my problem - I'll return the device and will never touch Roku again. 

DBDukes

@Philipp_1975PB 

Roku isn't supported there. That's not up for debate. You can't buy a Roku through authorized resellers there. That's a fact.

Roku does not stop any app from working there. If Disney+ doesn't work there on Roku, it's because Disney+ made the choice to not support their Roku app there. They may support other platforms, but they made the choice to not support Roku there. Roku doesn't not control that, the app developers do.

Many app developers choose to not support their Roku apps where Roku isn't supported. And not supported means it's not officially sold there. Some third party can up and resell them all they want, but it's no different than buying out of the trunk of someone's car. It's not an official sale from Roku or an official Roku reseller. There are no official Roku resellers in countries Roku isn't supported.

Having said that, some app developers do choose to support their Roku app in countries Roku isn't supported. Roku allows that. Netflix is one example. Or it was, they used to support their Roku app worldwide. But many do not support their apps in areas Roku itself isn't supported.

You might not like my answer, but my answer is true. It's just not what you want it to be. Facts don't care. I'm just telling you like it is. You don't have to like it, but you should heed it.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

makaiguy

Channel apps on Roku are created, provided and maintained by the channel services themselves. Roku just provides the platform on which they are run.

Channel services may restrict their areas of availability due to regional licensing restrictions for the content they provide, infrastructure limitations on where they can do business, or other concerns.

When a service submits a Roku-compatible version of its channel app to Roku, it is given a checklist of the geographical regions officially supported by Roku and must specify in which of those regions its service is to be available. There also is a "Rest of World" option that may be selected to instruct Roku to make the app available even in areas not specifically supported by Roku. Roku honors these choices and will only make the channel app available where specifically authorized by the service provider.

If a particular channel is available in your region via other platforms but not on Roku, then it's likely the channel has not authorized Roku to enable it in your region. I would suggest you contact the channel about this directly, but don't be surprised if all the front line people at the channel know is the content of their own press releases and do not understand that Roku is following the restrictions placed by their own service when submitting their app to Roku.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Tommyhj

I bought a Roku device in Denmark. Nowhere was it stated that the availability of normally available streaming services was limited by Roku. I couldn't research that myself, and indeed i did do a lot of research before choosing Roku over other devices. Everywhere i looked, it says that Disney was supported. And I have no way of knowing if my country is officially "supported" by Roku. I can buy it here, why would Roku disable services because I live in Denmark?

And as one of the top reasons people buy a steaming device, I assumed Roku would have made **bleep** sure that Disney worked, when it says so on the box. But they didn't. Saying that it's Disney's fault is plain bs. It's their responsibility to make Disney do r things that makes it work, or warn that it only works in three countries. So, false advertising, bad communication, lots of costumers let down. Now I have to pay to return the device. And I'll make **bleep** sure to make everyone know that Roku is NOT a brand to ever trust or purchase.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

@Tommyhj wrote:

And I have no way of knowing if my country is officially "supported" by Roku.

Go to https://www.roku.com/

In the lower right corner, there is a county selector.  Typically, your country is preselected.  If your country is not selected, click on the country, and look at the pop up.  If you don’t find your country in the pop up, then that’s a bad sign.

0 Kudos