Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pfarfour
Level 8

Why No Airplay 2 Audio Out

Was really excited for Airplay 2 on Roku so that my tv could take advantage of the various airplay speakers in my setup.  Very disappointed to learn that audio output is not a feature provided.  Is there a plan to have audio output from Roku to airplay speakers? 

5 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Why No Airplay 2 Audio Out

@pfarfour 

Thanks for the post and feedback.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
pfarfour
Level 8

Thanks for the reply. Is this a limitation from Roku or from Apple. Was really excited about it as I like the Roku platform but unfortunately I guess I’ll be hooking up an AppleTV and bypassing Roku.  

0 Kudos
pfarfour
Level 8

Still would be interested to know if Apple limits audio out on Airplay 2 or if this limitation has to do with the way Roku implemented. 

dylizard
Level 7

I was about to purchase a roku TV, but if I can't select my airplay speakers for audio out, I won't be purchasing. 

0 Kudos
pfarfour
Level 8

The fact that Roku hasn’t made a comment on this being an Apple imposed limitation leads me to believe that Roku has chosen not to implement audio out.  Seems like if a feature is limited then the Airplay branding should have an * with a footnote informing customers of limitations so we can make an informed decision. 

0 Kudos