Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: White captions

Hi @Ponto50

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, have you tried customizing your subtitles through Settings > Accessibility > Caption style? We would recommend starting there then let us know if there's any difference after. You can refer to this Support article for detailed instructions: How do I enable closed captioning?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Dashie583

Is that a joke?? Why don't you guys just make white captions?? Roll it out in an emergency update?? Really need to fire whoever taught your team what colors are 😂😂 @RokuKariza-D 

@RokuKariza-D wrote:

Hi @Ponto50

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, have you tried customizing your subtitles through Settings > Accessibility > Caption style? We would recommend starting there then let us know if there's any difference after. You can refer to this Support article for detailed instructions: How do I enable closed captioning?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Ponto50
Reel Rookie

I own a Roku Premiere 4K (also a a Roku Express) and there's no Acessibility on settings menu, but there's a subtitle option that let me adjust the color.

The problem is that the "white" option is just a gray (not even close to real white) and all the apps that use roku subtitle settings stick to that color.

Netflix, that manages its own subs, shows a bright white, perfectly readable, making me believe it's not a hardware limitation, but a software one.

It's really frustrating trying to use Plex on Roku (this one uses roku subtitle settings exclusively) given the poorly visible subtitles.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Did you try the opacity settings?  I have everything on "Default" and they look very white on a very black background to me.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ponto50
Reel Rookie

Tried everything.

Black background helps. Doesn't make the white brigther, but makes It visible enough. i'm just not happy with the amount of screen realstate It covers.

Just want real white letters with Black borders or shadows.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: White captions - what the heck?! All of a suden it wants 25 or more characters for the subject

Strange. I don't think it would have anything to do with the model, but I only tried my 2020 Ultra. I'll try one of my multitude of other models. I don't have any 4k models, but I have a few Expresses somewhere.

About the Accessibility Settings - I'm guessing you're not in the US.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Boshea

Re: White captions - what the heck?! All of a suden it wants 25 or more characters for the subject

White is not white, it's a dark grey that is basically only readable when also using the black background. This makes content look terrible. This has been an issue on my previous Roku express and same problem on my TCL with a built in Roku.

Just make the white text actually white.

0 Kudos
Ponto50
Reel Rookie

C'mon guys at Roku team...

Can you please solve/say something about this "gray subtitle" thing?

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

This is an artifact of the CTA-708 caption specification that Roku devices follow.  This is required by federal law, specifically Title 47, Chapter I, Subchapter C, Part 79, also know as the "ACCESSIBILITY OF VIDEO PROGRAMMING" section.

In the 708 specification, the color space for captions is defined as 6-bits, giving 64 possible colors.  The value of "White" used in the spec has red, green, and blue all set to 2 instead of 3, which means that the white used for content is 66% of maximum whiteness.  When the user doesn't override colors, the content can manually specify colors, and the Roku caption system does honor that.

I agree that having a user override for bright white (and bright versions of the other colors) would be nice.

0 Kudos
Kamology

Just here to try and revive this, can’t believe there isn’t a solution still. 

0 Kudos