Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Which Roku devices have volume leveling?

Jump to solution

I have an old Roku streaming stick w/o volume leveling. Which new devices offer this feature, and most importantly, does it actually work? I'm ready to throw this thing out the window the way it blasts me out of the house during commercials.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Which Roku devices have volume leveling?

Jump to solution

@jarhead127 Thanks for the note. You can see which models of Roku devices offer 'Volume Modes' here: https://support.roku.com/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-device-

In order to access these settings, you must be playing content inside a streaming channel. When content is playing, press the * key on your remote. A menu will open on the lefthand side of the screen. Look for 'Volume Mode' and from there you can enable Leveling or Night. 

Hope that helps point you in the right direction! 

Cheers,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

To my knowledge, they all do. I just checked my new Ultra 4670 and it does. My older Sharp Roku TV does as well. How well does it work? I have no idea, because using any audio modification mode drops the sound to 2 channel stereo, not the 5.1 audio I want. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well, just got my new Express Plus 3931RW and there's no sound leveling. That was the entire purpose for buying it, my streaming stick was working fine but commercials blast me out of the house. Any suggestions, there is simply no "sound mode" available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@jarhead127 Thanks for the note. You can see which models of Roku devices offer 'Volume Modes' here: https://support.roku.com/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-device-

In order to access these settings, you must be playing content inside a streaming channel. When content is playing, press the * key on your remote. A menu will open on the lefthand side of the screen. Look for 'Volume Mode' and from there you can enable Leveling or Night. 

Hope that helps point you in the right direction! 

Cheers,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well, I HOPE I figured out the problem! I had that list of devices with sound leveling when I bought the Express Plus which didn't have it. The problem seems to be, the Express Plus I had was a model 3931RW not a 3931X as appears on the list. Furthermore, every device on the list with sound leveling capabilities has the X suffix + literally every device I found available on line or at any stores has the RW suffix. That is HORRIBLE + extremely CONFUSING! Blasting commercials is the biggest bad rap I ever hear about Roku. They REALLY should make it easier to figure out which devices resolve this HUGE problem!!! Use a different name/model for the ones with sound leveling. Bought another, it better work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@jarhead127 wrote:

Well, I HOPE I figured out the problem! I had that list of devices with sound leveling when I bought the Express Plus which didn't have it. The problem seems to be, the Express Plus I had was a model 3931RW not a 3931X as appears on the list. Furthermore, every device on the list with sound leveling capabilities has the X suffix + literally every device I found available on line or at any stores has the RW suffix. That is HORRIBLE + extremely CONFUSING! Blasting commercials is the biggest bad rap I ever hear about Roku. They REALLY should make it easier to figure out which devices resolve this HUGE problem!!! Use a different name/model for the ones with sound leveling. Bought another, it better work.

The letter suffix makes no difference in the player itself. It's just used to indicate the sales channel that particular device was sold through. I believe the W is used for Walmart, R indicates retail outlets, and the X might be what Roku sells from their own web store. I can't say for sure those are the accurate indicators, but that is all that the suffix letters mean. If it's a 3931, then the internal components are identical regardless of the suffix. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well then the Express + Model 3931RW I just bought should have had sound leveling + it does NOT! I know it's only avail during playback, but it simply does not have it. It's still hooked up, I can take pics of what's avail.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@jarhead127  Thanks for following up here! As @atc98092  mentioned, the suffix after the model number is irrelevant, and only denotes the retail channel in which a device was sold. The number of the model is the important factor. 

I took a look, and I am also not seeing the feature showing as available. I'll share this with our team, and provide any further updates as soon as I have any available. Please stay tuned! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Is there a way I can post pics of my screen here? Or, if you've got an email address, I can send you exactly what I'm getting. The only volume setting available to me is low, medium, high. Absolutely no sound leveling.

I've already ordered another new 3810X Streaming Stick. I'm gonna snap if it doesn't work either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

BTW, thanx for your help!

0 Kudos