Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim1348
Streaming Star

Which Roku Devices Work With Infrared Remote Controls?

I was a DirecTV Now/AT&T TV Now subscriber for almost four years. Earlier this week, I canceled with AT&T TV Now and I am now a Sling TV Blue subscriber. My C71KW-200 needs to be repalced with something that will work with Sling TV. I would like to bet one that will work with infrared remote control codes. 

Is there a list of Rokus that work with infrared remote controls? I have a legacy Roku 3. Will that work with infrared remote controls? What about the currently available Rokus? Will any of those work with IR remote controls?

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Which Roku Devices Work With Infrared Remote Controls?

For the plain Roku devices, all non-Stick models will work with IR.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Yes the Roku 3 will accept IR commands. Of the current roku that come with an IR remote include the Roku express and Roku Premiere. Others like the Roku Ultra, Ultra LT, Premiere+ and Express+ all come with wifi remote but all do accept IR commands. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Jim1348
Streaming Star

That is great to know. Thank you so much for the replies.

0 Kudos
Jim1348
Streaming Star

Would the legacy Roku Express+ (2018) have IR remote control then?

Also, does both the HDMI and composite send signal simultaneously or do you select one or the other?  

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus-2018

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

The 2018 express+ 3910x  does come with IR remote, but can be paired to a wifi if you wish. As for the cables its either one or the other, not both.

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jim1348
Streaming Star

That is great to know. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Hildeiv
Channel Surfer

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Yes the Roku 3 will accept IR commands. Of the current roku that come with an IR remote include the Roku express and Roku Premiere. Others like the Roku Ultra, Ultra LT, Premiere+ and Express+ all come with wifi remote but all do accept IR commands. 

This confuses me for the IR remotes I have found do not support Roku Ultra. So you may be wrong about the Roku ultra.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Hildeiv wrote:

@Tivoburkee wrote:

This confuses me for the IR remotes I have found do not support Roku Ultra. So you may be wrong about the Roku ultra.

No, the Ultra supports IR control. I don't know which IR remotes you have tested. If they were designed for a Roku TV, then no it doesn't work with the Ultra. But the basic Roku IR remote does work with the Ultra, as do many generic IR remotes that state they have support for Roku players (again, not the TVs). 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Hildeiv
Channel Surfer

@atc98092 wrote:

@Hildeiv wrote:

@Tivoburkee wrote:

No, the Ultra supports IR control. I don't know which IR remotes you have tested. If they were designed for a Roku TV, then no it doesn't work with the Ultra. But the basic Roku IR remote does work with the Ultra, as do many generic IR remotes that state they have support for Roku players (again, not the TVs). 

Now that helps a lot to clarify what I have been reading. Thanks for quick response!

0 Kudos