Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Where is a replacement ROKU with RF remote?

Jump to solution

I have a ROKU 2 xs and I am very happy with it, esp. the RF remote.  I dislike IR remotes.  Now I am informed that my 2xs will no longer be supported.  What model does Roku offer that includes an RF remote, and I don't mean WiFi either, I mean RF.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Where is a replacement ROKU with RF remote?

Jump to solution

I am quite familiar with the use of WiFi for the remote.  I would not use such a device as the signal goes to the internet then back to the Roku with attendant time delays: unacceptable.  RF goes directly from the remote to the roku....no (internet) time delay.  For this reason, I do not consider WiFi as a replacement for BT.  Thanks for alerting me to the Walmart product.  I will check it out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info on wifi that is not wifi.  I have ordered the Premiere + from Walmart and I will check out its performance.  At this point, I don't know if it is a BT device or a WIFI direct, which I have never heard about prior to your postings.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 13

Jump to solution

Bluetooth that the xs used and WIFI direct that current roku use are both forms of Radio Frequency, they both go through walls. Not counting roku sticks the cheapest model that comes with RF remote would be Premiere + exclusively sold at Walmart. Other models don't come with RF remote, but can be paired with one if you have, but not xs remote which is useless on newer rokus.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am quite familiar with the use of WiFi for the remote.  I would not use such a device as the signal goes to the internet then back to the Roku with attendant time delays: unacceptable.  RF goes directly from the remote to the roku....no (internet) time delay.  For this reason, I do not consider WiFi as a replacement for BT.  Thanks for alerting me to the Walmart product.  I will check it out.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@slardybardfast wrote:

I have a ROKU 2 xs and I am very happy with it, esp. the RF remote.  I dislike IR remotes.  Now I am informed that my 2xs will no longer be supported.  What model does Roku offer that includes an RF remote, and I don't mean WiFi either, I mean RF.

As mentioned, WiFi is RF. Even your 2 XS Bluetooth remote uses the same frequencies as a WiFi remote.

So, what current Roku players come with a WiFi remote? As mentioned, the Premiere+, plus all versions of the Roku Stick, and the Ultra. Also, some players come with an IR remote, but support adding a WiFi remote. My Premiere is one example of that.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@slardybardfast wrote:

This is not an accurate statement. Using a WiFi remote does not go to the Internet at all. The full name of the remotes is WiFi Direct. It connects directly to the Roku using a WiFi signal, and is completely independent of any Internet connection. In fact, if you don't have an Internet connection it still works just fine. A WiFi Direct remote is a perfectly acceptable replacement for a Bluetooth remote. 

If you absolutely must have a Bluetooth remote, then look at the Nvidia Shield. But be prepared to pay much more than even the most expensive Roku player. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info on wifi that is not wifi.  I have ordered the Premiere + from Walmart and I will check out its performance.  At this point, I don't know if it is a BT device or a WIFI direct, which I have never heard about prior to your postings.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info on WIFI Direct.

0 Kudos