Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: When will we see Dolby Vision support?

@IanG wrote:
The main function of a Roku is to stream media from online sources. All other features are a secondary. For the functionality that you describe, I would look elsewhere.

Yes, it started that way. But Roku themselves added support for local DLNA servers, so it's an audience they desired to support. And that audience would like those additional functions. 

I already have replaced one of my Roku players with an Nvidia Shield, and my Ultra may soon be replaced with another for the same reason. I'd prefer to stay with Roku, because of the easy to use interface and wide variety of available channels. Nothing can touch a Roku for overall channel/app availability. Of course, there's always a few apps that will never appear on a Roku, such as VLC. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

I agree. I got the "new" Roku Ultra 2019 and expected it to include the modern HDR formats (Dolby Vision, HDR10+). I am disappointed that Dolby Vision is not supported. 

I hope that the Roku Ultra 2019 is high on the priority list to get Dolby Vision. I consider this the Roku premium device and for it not to support Dolby Vision has me looking at the Nvidia Shield and other platforms (not Apple). 

Tags (2)
Highlighted
Level 7

I like my ROKU Ultra but have to say when it comes to streaming my go to box remains Apple TV 4K. To my knowledge it is the only streaming box that supports both Dolby Vision as well as full-blown support for Dolby Atmos. 

0 Kudos
Level 21

@KrellFan1 wrote:

I like my ROKU Ultra but have to say when it comes to streaming my go to box remains Apple TV 4K. To my knowledge it is the only streaming box that supports both Dolby Vision as well as full-blown support for Dolby Atmos. 

The latest Nvidia Shield also supports DV, and it will bitstream all lossless audio, including TrueHD-Atmos and DTS:X. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Good to know about the Nvidea Shield but between my ROKU and ATV, & Smart TV via my Sony, I think I have my bases covered!  LOL. TO ROKU’s credit, at least they provide DD+ in the audio domain, better of course than DD Surround which is more compressed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Same here since now buying a TV that fully supports HDR10+, Dolby Vision + Atmos. So, now my Roku Streaming Stick+ is now looking old & tired unable to meet the above requirement, but Amazon's Firestick 4k, Apple's 4K and even nVidia's Shield TV device all support the above mentioned.

So, Roku needs to get their finger out and either upgrade the device's system software and/or release a replacement that is hardware capable, as they say if YOU can't provide what the customer's truly want then they will just go else where and in the end YOU will lose revenue from around the World to rivals.

Get on with it Roku and not stay in the ye olden days...!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Ditto...!

The Ultra stick already supports Dolby Atmos and so it should be common sense that Roku really needs to add support for Dolby Vision too.

If Roku blatantly refuses to upgrade either the device's system software to include D Vision or bring out a new device that also includes HDR10+ & Dolby Vision, as that will be the beginning of the end for Roku being a main player in the streaming devices market.

Why? Roku will just end up losing out to its rivals which it currently it is doing to Amazon & Apple & Nvidia because their devices do support all the latest standards, and they have done for a few years now. That is so sad for Roku because their products are good BUT only supporting earlier standards NOT the latest that's been around for quite sometime now.

In so doing Roku is forcing me to buy a rival's device like Amazon Fire Stick 4k or Cube TV, Nvidia Shield TV and the other is Apple's TV device because I now own a TV that fully support HDR10+ & Dolby Vision.

This message goes out Roku's Techs & designers get your finger out and upgrade your Ultra's system software to support the  above mentioned and/or bring out a new device that does with plenty of memory storage too for lots of Apps being added in the near future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Sentinel418 wrote:

Ditto...!

The Ultra stick already supports Dolby Atmos and so it should be common sense that Roku really needs to add support for Dolby Vision too.

If Roku blatantly refuses to upgrade either the device's system software to include D Vision or bring out a new device that also includes HDR10+ & Dolby Vision, as that will be the beginning of the end for Roku being a main player in the streaming devices market.

Why? Roku will just end up losing out to its rivals which it currently it is doing to Amazon & Apple & Nvidia because their devices do support all the latest standards, and they have done for a few years now. That is so sad for Roku because their products are good BUT only supporting earlier standards NOT the latest that's been around for quite sometime now.

In so doing Roku is forcing me to buy a rival's device like Amazon Fire Stick 4k or Cube TV, Nvidia Shield TV and the other is Apple's TV device because I now own a TV that fully support HDR10+ & Dolby Vision.

This message goes out Roku's Techs & designers get your finger out and upgrade your Ultra's system software to support the  above mentioned and/or bring out a new device that does with plenty of memory storage too for lots of Apps being added in the near future.

Dolby Vision requires two things: specific hardware and a license. No existing Roku has the necessary hardware for DV, and they don't have anywhere near enough processing power to perform it in software. So yes, it would take a new device. On top of that, it isn't insignificant to acquire a Dolby license for it. So between the cost for the necessary hardware, and the cost of the license, Roku probably can't sell a device for a price that they feel would be supported. You go much higher than the current list price of an Ultra, and you're approaching the price of the Nvidia Shield, which is a far more capable player that does have DV support, as well as lossless audio bitstreaming and other features. 

Dan
Highlighted
Level 7

For DV content, I just got a TiVo Stream 4K for $50. Now the Roku Ultra 2019 is just for non-DV content and the channels the kids watch. The only thing keeping Roku alive is their content/app ecosystem. They have to come out with a flagship model that includes DV.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Umm what?! The TCL built-in Roku absolutely supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos .. and it's a horribly underpowered as in a 2-3 year old CPU and less powerful than even a 2 year old Roku Ultra. 

Nah, this is ALL 100% about $$$ MONEY! Heck even my LG TVs via WebOS supports Dolby Vision. 

The problems still with all these platforms is they all have something lacking. I just purchased an Nvidia Shield for my TCL 8 and it also has its built built-in lousy Roku with Dolby Vision (lock ups, stuttering, and HDMI issues) and a 2-year old Roku Ultra. 

Here's a major problem (besides the TCL TV) .. Nvidia Shield doesn't support either Apple TV nor Tennis Channel (except via Chromecast which is asinine). 

Roku is getting too greedy and it's only going to blow-up in their faces.

0 Kudos