Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

When will we see Dolby Vision support?

To me the Roku Ultra is just about perfect, but there is one feature that is lacking, Dolby Vision support. When will we see this?

19 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: When will we see Dolby Vision support?

DV requires a license from Dolby, and in most cases specific hardware (if software implementation is possible, I doubt any Roku has sufficient CPU power). Since Roku has neither, it's unlikely to ever come to an existing player. For a future player, Roku never announces future plans.

Many people have asked for a more powerful, do it all player. Something to compete with the Nvidia Shield, but at a better price point and the Roku user interface. I would likely be first in line for such a player, but for now the Shield is the only player that meets most of my higher end needs. For the smaller TVs without AVRs, nothing can touch my Roku players. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

My Apple TV 4k supports DV, as do the built in apps in my TV.

Roku needs to get this done, it's the only feature they lack, and they really do lack it.

I believe you're correct that a license is required, and that's probably the hold up.

Highlighted
Level 20

Well, for my usage Roku lacks a little more than that. Smiley Very Happy But yes, DV requires a license.

But Roku also needs to support lossless audio bitstreaming, including TrueHD/Atmos and DTS:X, more audio and video codecs, and far better caption support. Many Roku users use them with AVRs to process the audio, and the lack of lossless audio is particularly annoying. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

So we have a lot to look forward to in the next generation Ultra! Maybe an Ultra +, at a higher price point with all the bells ans whistles...

Highlighted
Level 20

Sure. They offer something like that in the $100-125 price range and people will flock to it. As long as it's well marketed so users looking for those features know it's being offered. Many such users have already written Roku off since it's lacking those sought-after features. 

Dan
Highlighted
Level 9

Since Amazon's Fire TV stick offers DV, I can't see any reason as why an updated version of Roku's 4k software couldn't produce it. It's more due to licensing issues and cost, which may change in the future.

Highlighted
Level 9

There are currently no streaming services that offer lossless audio. This is due to data compression and therefore bandwidth restrictions that can not compete with replicated formats. As content providers continue to offer more efficient codecs, sound quality will continue to get better and narrow the gap between lossless and lossy audio quality.

Highlighted
Level 20

@IanG wrote:

There are currently no streaming services that offer lossless audio. This is due to data compression and therefore bandwidth restrictions that can not compete with replicated formats. As content providers continue to offer more efficient codecs, sound quality will continue to get better and narrow the gap between lossless and lossy audio quality.

This thread is about Dolby Vision, not lossless audio, although there are a few replies that went off topic. Guilty. 

But the point about lossless audio isn't for online streaming. It's for the large number of people, such as myself, that stream from a home media server. I have hundreds of videos with lossless audio, and for Roku playback they all require audio transcoding to DD. The Roku is such a great player in all other respects, and it's a shame that they can't offer pure audio bitstreaming, regardless of the audio codec in use. Some argue that no license is necessary if the audio bitstream is simply passed through untouched. I don't know the true answer to that, although that would seem logical .

Dan
Highlighted
Level 9

The main function of a Roku is to stream media from online sources. All other features are a secondary. For the functionality that you describe, I would look elsewhere.
0 Kudos