Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blaj2021

What roku player is best

Jump to solution

Hi

im looking at getting a roku player but I’m unsure which one. The main thing is we can watch Apple and now tv. If I get the little box does it have to be on show in order for the remote to work? In which case is the stick better?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: What roku player is best

Jump to solution

You might want to look at Roku's comparison page.

Best is probably the Ultra.  Of course, the best tends to cost more too, though none of them really cost a lot.  I didn't understand "on show in order for the remote to work"  The least expensive model uses an IR remote which has to be in the room and generally pointed in the right direction. (That's what they call a "simple remote") Fancier remotes use Wi-Fi, can also control TVs and can do things like voice commands.

The least expensive models have only 2.4GHz Wi-Fi which annoys some people.  The one's marked dual-band can connect to either 2.4 or 5GHz.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You might want to look at Roku's comparison page.

Best is probably the Ultra.  Of course, the best tends to cost more too, though none of them really cost a lot.  I didn't understand "on show in order for the remote to work"  The least expensive model uses an IR remote which has to be in the room and generally pointed in the right direction. (That's what they call a "simple remote") Fancier remotes use Wi-Fi, can also control TVs and can do things like voice commands.

The least expensive models have only 2.4GHz Wi-Fi which annoys some people.  The one's marked dual-band can connect to either 2.4 or 5GHz.

jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Having begun years ago with the first Roku model, switched to the Roku 3 and recently got the Roku Ultra 4800R, its BY FAR the best device of all of them. Since I own an LG OLED, and home theater system, both audio and video are superior to the previous models and channels load much faster with the exception of Peacock. Regardless, if you're thinking of getting a Roku, I'd suggest the Ultra. 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Blaj2021 wrote:

Hi

im looking at getting a roku player but I’m unsure which one. The main thing is we can watch Apple and now tv. If I get the little box does it have to be on show in order for the remote to work? In which case is the stick better?

You're asking about Now TV. There is a UK service with that name. Is that what you're referring? Are you in the UK? If so, you should be able to compare the functions and capabilities of each here: https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/compare 

I have personally used a couple of the devices that are also sold over there: Streaming Stick+ and the Streambar. Both are great.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos