Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Merl

What is the largest SD card that can be put into a Roku 4400X?

I have a Roku 4400X and I am just trying to find out how big of an SD card I can put into it?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What is the largest SD card that can be put into a Roku 4400X?

microSD cards in these things are hit and miss.  There's never been a published maximum size, but anything over 2GB is wasted.  I've seen reports of 32GB cards working, but many more failures.  There's practically no way to know if a card will work until you try it, but you'll have the best luck with an old, slow, small card.

Keep in mind it's only for channel storage, won't help streaming at all, and may cause more problems than it's worth.  About the only noticeable thing it accomplishes is getting rid of the nag to install one.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

Are you asking for a specific reason?

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Unless things have changed recently, no matter how big a card you put in, it will only use 2 GB, and only to store channel apps.  So if you have some old, smaller USB cards laying around, this is an ideal place to use them.

Try formatting the card in your computer, if it has a card reader that can handle SD cards.  

After formatting, see if the Roku will detect and reformat the card successfully. 

Also, see if this post helps: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Added-SD-Card-Remote-no-longer-works/m-p/646676#M1... 

Windows instructions, don't know what would differ on other systems: Do a slow (i.e. not "fast") format of the card via your computer. Select FAT32 and select it to use the default allocation size.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos