Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
augusvena

What is the best roku device to get?

I bought a roku before and it died in a few months but i see so many people raving about roku. So maybe i just got the **bleep** one that gets a lot of issues. What roku device do you suggest is the best or has the least issues with?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What is the best roku device to get?

It's hard to say that any of them are trouble-free.  One flawed update from Roku can sour one's opinion of any of them.  However, I always prefer the lager boxes over the sticks or tiny boxes.  Packing electronics that produce as much heat as Rokus do into a tiny package is just a bad idea in my opinion.  I've owned the majority of models and the only one that's given me trouble is almost certainly because of overheating.

I don't care for the sticks because RF interference due to its close proximity to the TV can be an issue and I don't like that you're beholden to Roku if you need a remote.  I also don't care for Wi-Fi only models.  The newer sticks and the Express 4k+ can use an Ethernet adapter, but it's an extra expense.  Of course if there's no way to run an Ethernet cable to the location of the Roku then it's a moot point.

So, my vote is for the Ultra.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

The last time I was in the market, I avoided the Express models because you see more problems posted here in the Community for the Express than any other model.  I don't know whether this is because the Express really IS more problematical, or if it's that, as the lowest priced product in the line, there are just that many more of them in service.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
DBDukes

@augusvena 

Over the years, I've purchases many Roku devices, for self and family. I've had personally one die, under warranty, and Roku replaced it. I had a family member's die, but it was 7+ years old, and a first generation model (2010-2011 era).

Apart from that, I've had no issues with my Roku devices working. Then again, I've always purchased the higher end models. I did purchase some entry level devices for family members (all the grandchildren), but they worked well. But for myself, I've always purchased the top of the line (Roku XDS, Roku 2XS, Roku 3, Roku Ultra, whichever was top at the time).

I will say about the sticks that I've tried them in the past. The only one I really liked was the recently discontinued model, the Roku Streaming Stick+, model 3810. All the others were underpowered. I've not tried the new Streaming Stick 4K+ device, so I can't speak to it from personal experience.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos