Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
visitor200
Level 7

What happened to my news summary in my Home??

What happened to my news summary in my Home??

When I click Home on my remote it takes me to the Home where I see the options on the left side.  But one of the options named News is no longer there.  The News option had sub-news categories, such as Politics, Trending, Tech, and so on.

Did Roku delete this??
Currently own 2017 Roku 4660 Ultra

Previously owned: 2015 Roku 1 Legacy, and Roku 3 (Model 4200x), Model N1000, Software V3.1 build 1011, and Model 2000c, Software V3.1 build 1011
0 Kudos
30 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: What happened to my news summary in my Home??

Huh. Never notice that before. I had turned it off so I didn't miss it. But the option is no longer there on the menu. Did the recently introduced "Featured Free" (link) take its place?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Featured Free replaced the News link.

I think News is now within The Roku Channel.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
visitor200
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
Huh. Never notice that before. I had turned it off so I didn't miss it. But the option is no longer there on the menu. Did the recently introduced "Featured Free" (link) take its place?

No. The Featured Free link does not appear on the left side as an option.  I read the link, but it says they will be "rolling out" the feature over the "coming weeks" . . . which means I don't get it now - and the regular News option is no longer there.
Do you have the Feature Free option?  I am hesitant to see what it entails . . . because the Feature Free includes everything under the sun that is free . . . and I have yet to find a news channel that offers the traditional News Summary categories as before.  I already have all the other major news channels that are free, but the original Roku News Summary was more to my liking because it was not based on one single news channel.

Previously owned: 2015 Roku 1 Legacy, and Roku 3 (Model 4200x), Model N1000, Software V3.1 build 1011, and Model 2000c, Software V3.1 build 1011
0 Kudos
visitor200
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:

Nope . . . The Roku Channel has only four (4) news links that are only "Live News", not playback news as the original News had.
I have the Model 4660 Ultra Roku . . . which retails for $99 - and I am suspecting the worse has happened.  I still have phone support, but they won't answer their phones.  And the web support has no FAQ for what happened to the News Category on the Home screen.

0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"visitor200" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:

No. The Featured Free link does not appear on the left side as an option. 
Do you have the Feature Free option? ...

Yes, I have it.

Settings > Home Screen > Featured Free

I'm running Roku OS 8.1 build 4145
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"visitor200" wrote:
"RokuShawnS" wrote:

Nope . . . The Roku Channel has only four (4) news links that are only "Live News", not playback news as the original News had.
I have the Model 4660 Ultra Roku . . . which retails for $99 - and I am suspecting the worse has happened.  I still have phone support, but they won't answer their phones.  And the web support has no FAQ for what happened to the News Category on the Home screen.

I too see the four items in Roku Channel. I don't recall what the old News item on the main menu showed, as I turned it off shortly after it debuted, but unless it was a link to four news sources (ABC, Cheddar, Newsy, PeopleTV) then it's currently not showing in the Roku Channel.

The News item in the Featured area is simply a link to those four news sources.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Eban
Level 7

It's gone on my Roku ultra too.
On the Roku app on smartphone you could see it in the channels tab, it was like an app AOL On News (something like this) next to Fandango Now (if activated) and it's not there anymore.

The Roku home screen used to be:

Home
My feed
Movie store (if activated in settings > home screen)
TV store (if activated like above)
News
Search
Streaming channels
Settings

I don't know what Roku did but it's gone Smiley Sad and like you it was nice and quick way to see some news video.
- Device: Roku Ultra - Laserdisc enthusiast -
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Eban" wrote:
I don't know what Roku did but it's gone Smiley Sad and like you it was nice and quick way to see some news video.

Is Featured Free showing up for you, either on the main menu or as an option under Settings > Home Screen ?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Basil" wrote:
"Eban" wrote:

Is Featured Free showing up for you, either on the main menu or as an option under Settings > Home Screen ?

It’s not on the main menu of my Stick (3600) nor is the option available under Settings > Home Screen.

Running 8.1 build 4145
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos