Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenwillow
Reel Rookie

Web Video Caster won't connect since update

Since the latest update, the Web Video Caster app on my phone no longer "sees" my Roku Ultra and can't connect to cast video.

The phone and the Ultra are on the same network, the signal is excellent, I have rebooted the Roku as well as my gateway repeatedly to no avail. It has been working fine for months until the 10.5 update.

Any suggestions?

We cast a lot and it's especially disappointing because we switched ALL of our tvs from 4k Firesticks to Roku SPECIFICALLY bc Firestick dumped their screen mirroring feature.

DO BETTER ROKU, or at least give us the option to roll back your **bleep** updates

5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Web Video Caster won't connect since update

@greenwillow 

The basics are to restart the Roku, the router, and the Mobile device you have Web Video Caster installed on.

Also, verify that you have Web Video Caster Channel installed on the Roku. (This is the companion Channel/app).  Make sure it is updated.  Press * on the Channel and Check for Updates.

Under the Cast button/icon within the Web Video Cast app, select the gear icon (settings), verify you still have Roku enabled/checked as "devices to scan for".

You can also try connecting to your Roku's IP address from the Cast Screen as well.  To find your Roku IP, from Roku Home Screen, navigate to Settings..System..About [press OK] or from Settings..Network..About.  Then look for IP address.

I have had to use the above procedure a couple of times.  Then next time Web Video Caster would see the device by itself.

Another setting you can try is located under the main Settings in the Web Video Caster App (hamburger icon).  Navigate to Settings..Casting and see if enabling "Show Legacy Roku Target". (this essentially plays media through Roku Play" and will provide another separate coñnection in the list of devices to connect to.

As a reminder, make sure your phone/Mobile device is connected to the same network as the Roku (verify not using phone data but is actually connected to wifi network).

All the above is assuming casting online content to Roku.  There are additional settings to configure if trying to cast dlna devices and such and those have to be configured both within the App and at your router.

Latest version of Android Web Video Caster is 5.4.1 rev. 3902 so make sure you are using latest.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

greenwillow
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the suggestions - I have done all of these things (except for one) MULTIPLE times, as well as uninstalled/reinstalled the app on both devices.

I'll try your suggestion on enabling "Show Legacy Roku Target" in the app settings, I haven't yet tried that.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@greenwillow 

You can also contact the developers over at Web Video Caster.  They are quite responsive and may have some more ideas or may be aware/unaware of a fix.  Make sure to provide them the details of your Roku model and specifics in your issue.

https://www.webvideocaster.com/home

They will be in a better position to determine if an app or Roku issue.  Currently works fine on all my Rokus using 10.5 OS.  I use this app regularly/daily.  Ultra 4660x.

0 Kudos
rich80301

Web Video Caster has malware. A popup for an Adblocker and a Roku controller app would come up no matter what channel I was on. I had to delete it from my phone and Roku and it was still popping up. After a couple of times of restarting the Roku and the phone, it stopped. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@rich80301 

I will look into it but have used it for a long time.  Some of the ads on the free version certainly can be difficult to close, thus maybe leading one to inadvertently install one of the programs advertised accidently. 

I would certainly be willing to bring to developer's attention if you could remember the names of the programs displaying the unwanted behavior causing you to believe it is malware.  [the ads should only appear on the mobile device where app is installed - no app ads are displayed on the TV that the Roku is attached to.)

Developer seems responsive to criticism and has timely addressed past concerns/bugs.

0 Kudos