Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edv
Channel Surfer

Voice Commands thru enhanced remote, mobile app and Alexa no longer work

I have 2 TCL Roku TV's - 55" series 6 and 65" series 8.  Yesterday both stopped responding to voice commands from any source.  All other remote functions work fine.  Message displayed using Alexa or the enhanced remote are "Something went wrong, Try again." When using the Android mobile app a message displays on the phone "Sorry, couldn't hear that."  Voice commands have worked fine since the last system update although both sets now have the 'Closed captioning on mute' problem and the series 8 no longer displays OTA signal strength for channels on the antenna input.  I've tried all recommended fixes for the Alexa issue and enhanced remote problems short of full system resets.  The only change I have made to my account recently is updating my email address.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Jay4275

Re: Voice Commands thru enhanced remote, mobile app and Alexa no longer work

Can't help you with a fix but want to add I have the exact same issue with Alexa commands, was working fine up until 2-3 days ago now all I get is "Something went wrong. Try again." message.

0 Kudos
eltawater
Reel Rookie

Just wanted to chime in that I've also started having exactly the same issue on my Hisense Roku TV (R55B7120UK) in the past two days.

Alexa voice control has been working fine for months via my Echo Dot but now every time I issue a command, the TV starts "Working..." then "Something went wrong".

Multiple restarts etc do not appear to solving the issue and software updates are not showing anything new to download. Has something changed somewhere in the Alexa->Roku skill interface maybe?

0 Kudos
beebop
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue on my Hisense Roku Tv. I recently changed broadband provider and wondered is that was causing the issue but it's obviously an issue affecting others. Hope it's sorted soon. It's really frustrating to be used to a feature and then it stop working. I'm still shouting out commands to Alexa as I forget she can't help me!

0 Kudos
Eskeletor
Reel Rookie

Has anybody tried a factory reset to see if this works? I’m reluctant to do so since I have a lot of custom pictures settings (TCL 6 series), but I’ve been experiencing this problem for about a week now and none of the voice functions work.

0 Kudos
beebop
Reel Rookie

I have. Twice. It didn't help though so if you have custom settings you don't want to lose, I wouldn't bother unless someone else comes along and says it definitely worked for them. 

mark08
Reel Rookie

Same exact problem started on mine a couple weeks ago.  I've tried everything short of a hard reset (which according to this board doesn't work, either).  Customer support has no clue.

0 Kudos
edv
Channel Surfer

I've removed my TVs from Alexa devices list and disabled the Roku skill to no effect.  In trying various combinations of wired/WiFi, fast start/normal and other options and many restarts the only thing different I managed differently was 1 message after a restart "Sorry ... unable to get audio from your remote...".  Part of the Roku 9.4.0 firmware update was to enhance voice input so that's the likely culprit. 

0 Kudos
Wallypizza
Reel Rookie

Same problem with 2 TVs, a TCL and Hisense. Not using Alexa though. The voice command using the remote gives "Something went wrong. Try again" error, and Android phone app gives "Sorry, couldn't hear that" error. Started a few days ago. Both TVs, both remote and app don't work.

0 Kudos
Wallypizza
Reel Rookie

Both remote and app voice commands started working on both tvs today. I didn't do anything, no changes, no resets, no battery changes, nothing. Just started working on its own. Last update on both tvs was Dec. 17, but problem started this week.

0 Kudos