Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eggs4vanya
Level 7

Video Playlists

I initially misunderstood how Roku handles playlists when I first got it, but now I'm curious: When playing my own videos off a USB drive, is there a way to make playlist files that will play select files from within a folder or folders? 

For instance, I have a folder with all seven seasons worth of episodes of a show. But I wanted to make a playlist file of only episodes featuring a certain character. I made a playlist file using VLC player and the actual files in the USB drive, but while Roku displays the playlist file in the player, it doesn't recognize any of the the files in the playlist. 

Is it a matter of correcting something about the filenames or playlist type, or am I trying to do something it wasn't designed to do? (If not, it should be) 
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Video Playlists

I believe Roku Media Player supports M3U playlists. But they have to be correctly constructed. The file path needs to be relative, as there's no drive letter assigned to the USB drive when connected to the Roku. So base every file location on the root of the USB drive, i.e. "\folder_name\subfolder_name\file_name. If the files are in the root, then it's just \file_name. I use a program called Playlist Creator 3 (Windows only), and it is capable of creating both PLS and M3U playlists, using relative or hard file locations. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos