Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Version 9.3.0 build 4170-50 for Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810X)

Weeks ago both of my 3810X were updated from vers 9.2.0 build 4807-50 to 9.3.0 build 4132-50.  Once this happened I, like many others, started experiencing issues connecting to my wifi network as well as stability issues with YouTube TV and YouTube at times.  After I rolled back the software to version 9.2.0 build 4807-50 the issues immediately went away - until yesterday.  Yesterday both of my Rokus updated to version 9.3.0 build 4170-50 and the same wifi connection and YTTV stability issues started up immediately once again.  As before I rolled both Rokus back to 9.2.0 build 4807-50 and now everything is working fine.

Why is it so difficult for Roku to get this version 9.3.0 update right, at least for 3810Xs?  Is anyone even bothering to test these updates or are you just letting your customers be the beta testers?  I say this based on 35+ yrs of IT experience including network & systems admin as well as SQA work among many other jobs I held.  I've done systematic troubleshooting and have been able to replicate the issue now twice which indicates to me this is buggy software that should not be released until it functions properly.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Version 9.3.0 build 4170-50 for Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810X)

Having the same problem here with both of our sticks.  Has been going on for about 2 weeks also.

Can't get support on the phone so what is a girl to do???? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Can you verify your version again as the most recent version for the 3810X is 9.3.0 build 4172-50?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm having issues with 2 of my 3. 1080p seems to be the problem. My 720p TV doesn't seem to have any issues.

Issues I'm having is during viewing in Hulu the screen goes black, then the thinking bar, then video comes back missing the lower-right 60% of the video. Also at moments sound just goes away never to return until after a restart of Roku.

My devices:

Roku Ultra

Roku Express

Roku 3810 (this is the 720p TV)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Just some updates:

6/12/2020 - both of my SS+ (3810x) updated to version 9.3.0 build 4172.  I didn't notice it until late at night when I went to run a check of my connection speed.  I noticed that YouTube TV was connecting at a slightly higher rate than usual especially on 720p channels as I was connecting at around 35-38000 Kbps, something I would only see on a 1080p channel.  Netflix connecting at 75-80.  I have not see any buffering, pixelation or any sound sync issues so far but it's only been 24 hrs.  I am hoping that this build is stable because when I checked vers 9.2.0 was no longer available to revert to.  I also noticed that the YouTube app now looks more like the YTTV app when it loads so it appears to be an updated version.

6/14/2020 - Yesterday (6/13) afternoon at around 5pm the SS+ in my family room buffered for about 2 seconds and eventually recovered although what was a nice, steady streaming of YTTV was now bouncing all over the place.  Also when I checked my Roku network connection is was only 2-16 and bouncing around with each check but before the buffering on YTTV it was a solid 60+.  After rebooting the Roku my speed cam back ok but took about an hour or so to normalize at a steady stream.  My other Roku also had the same issues so I rebooted (in both cases I powered down/up not just restarted).  While this Roku's network speed was back to it's usual 60-68 when I went to watch anything on YTTV the best picture quality I could get is 480p!  My YTTV connection was over 30k yet the AUTO resolution was not going any higher than 480p.  I tried to reboot again, no luck.  I forced the software update again and rebooted, no luck.  I finally had to force YTTV to use 1080p (it reverted to 720p on those channels) but it still will not go to the correct resolution if set to AUTO.  Very weird!  I just did a factory reset and will see if that fixes the problem but there are definitely issues with how the 4172 build of ver 9.3.0 updates as one of my Roku's was ok, the other not.  They both updated within 20 minutes of each other originally.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

6/14/2020 - Ok I just did a factory reset on my Roku SS+ that had resolution issues with YTTV and now it is connecting to the Roku Network at 68, YTTV is streaming at 30-35K and steady and Netflix is reporting a connection speed of over 80, the highest I've seen as I only have 100 Mbps service.

So what I recommend to everyone with a SS+ (3810X) who is having issues (and also to those with other Rokus), the best thing to do if you're still having issues after the latest 9.3.0 update is to do a FACTORY RESET.  This way the Roku is initialized and will take the update cleanly as I suspect the issues may be caused by the installation process itself somehow not being clean.  It's a PITA but it doesn't take too long and for me it's the only thing that resolved my issues with both sticks as both eventually had to be factory reset at some point before the new update worked.  I hope this helps and I'll post if any wifi connection issues or resolution issues with YTTV resurface.