Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rafterman

Using roku to airplay without internet connection

How can I connect to roku using airplay without an internet connection?   I want to stream downloaded content from my ipad to my roku on a TV in my RV.   Is this possible?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Using roku to airplay without internet connection

Rokus need to be activated before they can be used, and that requires an internet connection.

Otherwise, the Roku and phone/tablet must be on the same WiFI network for AirPlay to work.

https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

0 Kudos
DosRojos

The advice implies that AirPlay works without an internet connection as long as the Roku and iPhone (for example) are on the same WiFi network and the Roku has an activated account. This is not the behavior I am getting on my Roku Ultra. When trying to AirPlay locally stored audio, a screen pops up saying that AirPlay isn’t connected to the internet. When I choose the “proceed anyway” option a few seconds of audio plays before the Roku AirPlay connection is dropped making it impossible to AirPlay anymore. AirPlay works fine when there is an internet connection, but I need to use it where there is none and I only have WiFi. 

0 Kudos
Natepap

Hey — I’m trying to get the same functionality from Roku as you, and have experienced the exact same behavior (contrary to how it’s “supposed” to work).  Wondered if you have had any luck since…?

0 Kudos

I am having the same issue, I have MacBook Pro and am trying to use the Roku as a display adapter. The MB is a Flexgate unit and the USB-C to HDMI adapter broke. Internet isn't on until Monday.... So I guess neither is using my computer unless I get a new adapter. THANKS ROKU! ❤️ I don't even use the thing for anything else after their license agreement change that booted the adult content channels. I'll get a Chromecast with Google TV and through our this piece of junk. ROKU that's what your changes are doing losing customers. 

0 Kudos