Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EDPR
Level 7

Using Roku at hospitality business

We're deploying Roku streaming sticks at one of our hotel customers.  There is no need for cable tv and having the Roku's Youtube/Plex/Netflix/Reuters/Hooq makes the streaming stick a steal for that price.  We plan to develop some small hotel information apps as well.

Is there any way to remove the 'Settings' and 'Roku info' tabs in order to end up with just the 'channels' grid?  Removing these will make the guest experience a bit better.
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Using Roku at hospitality business

No, there is not, to answer your question.

Also, you will have licensing issues with Netflix and other paid services.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Now there is a "Guest Mode" setting in Roku devices that allows the guest to use their own credentials to sign into subscription services. That would remove any licensing issues for you, and allow them to access whatever they subscribe to. I don't know the details on how it works, but I would imagine Roku has something available on their web site. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
EDPR
Level 7

You make a good point on licensing and, while I completely agree the law is the law no matter where, there is little enforcement of such at this part of the globe (South East Asia).
There is several higher end properties here offering Netflix and Plex (with insane movie libraries) to their guests.  

Other OTTs are offering dedicated subscription plans for the hospitality market.  The property we're deploying has HOOQ subscriptions with monthly bills for every guest room as part of a commercial hospitality television subscription.

Our agreement is to deploy the STBs.  Licensing is their responsibility.

We have been deploying quite a few Apple TVs - which are great - but remote controls are way too fragile.  Compared with Apple TV, the Roku remotes are bullet proof.

It would be nice to have a higher level child/guest/etc lock.  Getting rid of the 'Home/Streaming Channels/Settings' menu leaving only the 'Home' screen would not only benefit my user case, but also home users.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Just from a consumer standpoint...  Any guest that enters their user credentials into a hotel provided appliance are fools.  Those that do it in a *.asia country are doubly moronic.

I wouldn't even offer that.  On top of the idea that Plex with "insane" libraries are entirely illegal.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

I prefer to bring my own device, hook it up myself, and not deal with no one else except for Roku or the app in question itself that I'm using.  The whole idea is to avoid middlemen as much as possible.  Especially if I have questions about their true motives on using my sensitive information should I'm stupid enough to fall for it.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Iona-D" wrote:
I prefer to bring my own device, hook it up myself, and not deal with no one else except for Roku or the app in question itself that I'm using.  The whole idea is to avoid middlemen as much as possible.  Especially if I have questions about their true motives on using my sensitive information should I'm stupid enough to fall for it.

Exactly why I keep a Roku Stick in my travel bag. So far this has been a light travel year for me, so I have to take it out and update it occasionally. But being able to watch what I want to watch, rather than what the hotel offers, makes my travel much more enjoyable. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos