Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
egnoriega

Using Roku TV, closed captioning keeps turning "always on" on when set to "on mute" after mute.

I'm using a TCL version of Roku TV. I noticed after the latest update, the antenna TV app be much slower, but more troublesome that the closed captioning is no longer easy to manage. Usually it's set to "on mute", but now it is constantly flipping back to "always on." I wasn't sure if there was some Global setting that could be tweaked?

9 REPLIES 9
SharonS
Binge Watcher

Re: Using Roku TV, closed captioning keeps turning "always on" on when set to "on mut

Closed captioning on my TCL Roku TV has a mind of its own, too. The problem started after the upgrade that changed the look of the Options menu. I'll change the caption to On mute or On replay, and it'll switch itself back to Off or On always. Sometimes after 6 or 7 tries I'll get my setting, but usually I just give up 😑. I updated the system on Dec. 12, 2020, but the problem persists. 

Tags (1)
rome_411

Re: Using Roku TV, closed captioning keeps turning "always on" on when set to "on mut

Roku, please fix this problem. I’ve seen comments on other similar posts indicated that it is a specific app. This makes no sense as why would one app override your entire system settings. I have two Roku Smart TVs and a Roku box. The problem exists no matter which app is used. The simple turning on the device seems to trigger captions always on. Perhaps you can create a captions always off instead of just captions so we aren’t inconvenienced with turning them off everytime we access the first app for the day. One the initial change is made to take the captions off, they remain off for the entire session on all apps, but reappear once the system is turned off and back on. Not a good product experience.

crowda

Can confirm that I just figured out the issue I was having with closed captioning had to do with HBO Max applying its own setting to the entire system. I finally stopped the captions from turning themselves on all the time by opening the web player at play.hbomax.com, opening a stream, and turning off captions. But that is hardly a solution as this shouldn't be happening in the first place, and I am now stuck with "off" as my system setting for the foreseeable future when I preferred "on replay" or "on mute."

Roku Team, for the love of god, please fix.

Side note if a developer ever reads this, sure would be nice if we could select multiple because I would really like my setting to be on replay and on mute, but not on always.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@crowda, this would be a good thing for Suggest a Feature | Roku Community | Roku .

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
n88yanks
Channel Surfer

I would love to turn this "feature" off.  I am constantly going in and turning off CC.  Roku - please fix this.  When I want CC on I'll turn it on otherwise please leave it off!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@n88yanks

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, are you disabling closed captions within the channel as well as through the Roku device settings?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
n88yanks
Channel Surfer

Yes.  Both are disabled but the device settings keep getting turned on.  I am not sure it is when muting, however.  It seems to occur almost randomly - on both of our devices.  Thanks for looking into this.  Jim

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@n88yanks
Thanks for the post.

In order for us to better understand the issue, have you tried checking if the closed captioning is getting turned back on in the device Settings after muting and not muting during playback. If you can provide us with the steps to reproduce the issue, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sambou
Channel Surfer

This is what these companies always do. They wait several months before replying to many users who posted the same problem when plenty of details on how to reproduce, and all they have to say is "please provide more info so we can help".  ALL THE INFO IS HERE.  Just fix the problem and stop trying to kick the can down the road for another year.

0 Kudos