Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbutlerbaseball
Level 7

Using Bluetooth on a Roku Ultra for audio only

I watch a lot of things outside using a projector (No audio capability). Currently I log into #youtubetv on my lap top, and connect a bluetooth speaker to the lap top for sound. I would like to connect my Roku Ultra (4670 series)   to the projector and then connect a #bluetooth speaker to the Ultra. (That would give me the ability to easily change channels

Does anyone know if this is doable or not? I know there are projectors out there that I can buy that provide sound and #bluetooth connectivity. Was wondering if I could avoid that expense since I already own my current projector.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
lesmikesell
Level 13

Re: Using Bluetooth on a Roku Ultra for audio only

The only way to connect a generic bluetooth audio device to a roku is to use the phone/tablet roku app which can send the audio to a device paired to the phone.   How well this works will depend on your wifi quality - you'll find some complaints in this forum but I have it working acceptably well with headphones. Alternatively you can get an HDMI audio extractor to connect video and audio separately at the cable level.

0 Kudos
KSJ1931
Level 7

What a rip off! I bought the new Ultra just because it said I could sync Bluetooth! Had I known it would be almost impossible, I would never have purchased it. Really am disappointed. Woman Mad

ldjessup
Level 7

I agree!  Very disappointed.  Looking forward to audio in my Apple EarPods.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@ldjessup

Thanks for the post.

You can use your bluetooth devices for audio if by using the Roku mobile app and connecting your device to the app.

For more information about the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: How to use headphones on your mobile device for private listening

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos