Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwhewitt
Level 7

Use micro SD Card from Roku 2 XS to new Roku Ultra?

Just bought new Roku Ultra to replace old Roku 2 XS. Can I use the micro SD card from the old Roku 2 XS in my new Roku Ultra? Is it just remove and install, or do I have to do something to the card before inserting it? Also, what is the purpose of the micro SD in the new Roku Ultra? Do I really need to use it at all? Lastly, can you use the headphone jack on the Ultra remote to send audio to a basic stereo receiver? My old VIZIO flat screen tv does not have any audio output Jack other than optical audio output. No optical input on basic stereo receiver.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Use micro SD Card from Roku 2 XS to new Roku Ultra?

"rwhewitt" wrote:
Just bought new Roku Ultra to replace old Roku 2 XS.  Can I use the micro SD card from the old Roku 2 XS in my new Roku Ultra?  Is it just remove and install, or do I have to do something to the card before inserting it? Also, what is the purpose of the micro SD in the new Roku Ultra?  Do I really need to use it at all?  Lastly, can you use the headphone jack on the Ultra remote to send audio to a basic stereo receiver?  My old VIZIO flat screen tv does not have any audio output Jack other than optical audio output.  No optical input on basic stereo receiver.

Thanks.

You can certainly use it. It may need to reformat it. Or, better, erase it before you plug it in.

You do not need to have one, but it may speed up the loading of apps if you have more than just a few installed.

The purpose of the card is for channel (app) storage. Not content, but the apps themselves. Roku, like any device, can only hold so much stuff on the device. If you have a large number of apps, or a number of large apps, this can happen. The Roku handles it by removing the oldest (in terms of last time it was used) apps from the device to make room for the newer apps, or the apps that aren't currently on the device but are being launched. The removed apps are simply removed from the local device, not from your account. And, info about the apps is retained.

For instance, and keep in mind I'm making up numbers to show the concept, if your Roku will hold 5 apps, and you launch a 6th app, the oldest app will be removed from the device. You now have apps 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 on the device, but you still have all six apps on your account. Now, say you decide to launch app 1, which the device removed earlier. To make room, it will remove app 2, meaning you now have apps 1, 3, 4, 5, & 6 on your device, but still have all six on your account. If you launch app 3 next, nothing needs to happen, as it's already on your device. Now, say you add a 7th app. App 4 (oldest in terms of last used) is now removed, leaving you with 1, 3, 5, 6, & 7 on the device. And so on.

As for the headphones, it's a low-level audio output, and you could use it to drive audio to another device. However -- and this is big -- as long as anything is plugged into the headphone jack on the remote, the remote is eating batteries. Doesn't matter if you're playing anything or not. Plug something in, batteries are being used. Not sure your plan is worth all that. But hey, your call. Will it work? Sure. But not sure you'll be happy.

You can buy an optical to RCA converter for less than $15. How many packs of batteries you got to run through before it's a better option? Not many.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
rwhewitt
Level 7

How do you erase or reformat the micro SD card for reuse in the new Roku Ultra?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"rwhewitt" wrote:
How do you erase or reformat the micro SD card for reuse in the new Roku Ultra?

Most cards come with adapters, and they can plug into most computers. If you don't have that capability, it shouldn't be a problem. 
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
gwsw
Level 7

You don't need to reformat it. Just plug it into the new Roku and the Roku will format it.
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 7

"rwhewitt" wrote:
Just bought new Roku Ultra to replace old Roku 2 XS.  Can I use the micro SD card from the old Roku 2 XS in my new Roku Ultra?  Is it just remove and install, or do I have to do something to the card before inserting it? Also, what is the purpose of the micro SD in the new Roku Ultra?  Do I really need to use it at all?  Lastly, can you use the headphone jack on the Ultra remote to send audio to a basic stereo receiver?  My old VIZIO flat screen tv does not have any audio output Jack other than optical audio output.  No optical input on basic stereo receiver.

Thanks.

The Roku FAQs for micro SD card use answer a lot of questions:
https://support.roku.com/article/208756 ... o-sd-card-
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV
0 Kudos