Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lonestriker
Level 7

Upside-down Apple iPhone video with Roku Ultra

When I play back some of my iPhone 8-captured video, they display as upside-down on the Roku Ultra using either the native Roku Player and a USB hard drive, or playing through Plex Media Server and the Roku Plex app (which uses "direct play" to decode the video using the Roku Ultra itself.)  The videos are captured in h.265/HEVC in landscape orientation.  If I shoot the video in landscape mode, with the iPhone 8 and the home button to the right (the "normal" capture mode), then the video is correctly oriented right-side up. If I shoot the video as landscape with the iPhone 8 and the home button to the left, then the video shows up as upside-down on the Roku Ultra.  But, the video has correct orientation for both the native iPhone Photos app as well as the Google Photos app.

I wish I could shoot all video holding the phone the same way, but I use a gimbal and sometimes need to invert the phone to get proper shots.

Any one else have this issue or know of a fix?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
makaiguy
Level 11

Re: Upside-down Apple iPhone video with Roku Ultra

The camera (or in this case phone) orientation is coded into the EXIF information embedded in the file.   Some applications know how to read EXIF data and utilize it, others don't.  I sometimes have this problem with still photos taken with my camera or phone when displayed from my computer via Roku's media display app.

For my photos, I've found several utilities that I can run them thru on my computer that will physically rewrite the file so that the image is always shown in the orientation indicated by the EXIF information.  For instance, this can be done fairly easily with the Irfanview program.  I suspect there must be something similar you can find that will do the same for videos.

Found this reference re videos.  Perhaps it will help: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/140 ... rake-cli-o
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 9

Yea I have the same problem on my Roku Ultra. A long time ago one of the updates solved this and all the video from an ipad, or iPhone were right side up again. Then they updated and bam, it was screwed up again.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
lonestriker
Level 7

"makaiguy" wrote:
The camera (or in this case phone) orientation is coded into the EXIF information embedded in the file.   Some applications know how to read EXIF data and utilize it, others don't.  I sometimes have this problem with still photos taken with my camera or phone when displayed from my computer via Roku's media display app.

For my photos, I've found several utilities that I can run them thru on my computer that will physically rewrite the file so that the image is always shown in the orientation indicated by the EXIF information.  For instance, this can be done fairly easily with the Irfanview program.  I suspect there must be something similar you can find that will do the same for videos.

Found this reference re videos.  Perhaps it will help: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/140 ... rake-cli-o

Thanks for the references.  I'm hoping to fix the issue with just a Roku player bug fix and not having to re-encode a large number of videos from h.265, though.  A later reply seems to indicate the issue is simply a bug with the Roku software itself.
0 Kudos
lonestriker
Level 7

"rockou" wrote:
Yea I have the same problem on my Roku Ultra. A long time ago one of the updates solved this and all the video from an ipad, or iPhone were right side up again. Then they updated and bam, it was screwed up again.

Argh, thanks for the info.  So as suspected it's just a bug with the Roku software.  I love my Roku Ultra other than this bug; it's really annoying when watching family/vacation video and be hit with random videos being upside down.  If I could downgrade to an older version of software that fixes this bug, I'd give up a lot of features for that...
0 Kudos