Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fluke
Roku Guru

Upsetting Wells Fargo home screen ad & privacy question

The Roku home screen (the 3x4 grid of Roku apps/channels) has to the right an advertisement for Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card.  If I continue right it brings up an "Email Offer" button which is something I have never seen Roku do before.

For those that don't remember, Wells Fargo is the bank that once they got a customer's personal information, they would fraudulently sign the person up for all sorts of services and fees the customer does not want.

Wells Fargo also illegally repossessed the cars of members of the US armed services.  There was a legal process available to them but they just did not follow it.

The name of this "bank" alone sets off ALL my internal alarm bells.  It turns my stomach to see it still functioning in 2022.

So, first, I would like to make a feature request:

If there is a Roku Home screen ad I find highly upsetting/offensive, can there someday be a method for me to press * on it and choose to have that ad never displayed again for my Roku account?

Second, I would like to know if there is a way to request a Personally Identifiable Information transparency report from Roku?  Can I get a json or xml dump of all PII Roku has stored on me, which third-parties have been provided parts of that PII and which parts they were given?  I have been able to get such reports from other companies but haven't found how to submit the request to Roku.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Upsetting Wells Fargo home screen ad & privacy question

For item one, post on the Suggest a Feature page.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

renojim

@fluke, have you read the privacy policy?  It speaks of California residents requesting a report, but I don't know if it applies to everyone.

https://docs.roku.com/published/userprivacypolicy/en/us

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
fluke
Roku Guru

I had read the privacy policy but it currently states the person requesting must attest to being a California resident and provide a current California address.  While other companies provide a method to requesting a privacy dump without being a California resident, Roku seems to have overlooked it.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Maybe they didn't overlook it. Maybe it's intentional. Maybe not. Just be prepared for that eventuality.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MilesT
Roku Guru

Probably deliberate, and a bit unfriendly.  Not all US states have implemented laws that fully match CCPA (and really there should be a consistent Federal version).

In EU (and UK still post BrExit, and I think in EEA), there is equivalent right/process (GDPR).  If you can claim citizenship/residency of any of those then you can also get a dump (note: EU citizen residing outside EU still has the right on any company they deal with, although enforcement of non compliance isn't always possible, if the legal entity doesn't trade in EU).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos