Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rumor69
Level 8

Upgraded Ultra to Ultra from 2017 to 2020 4800R - problems

I ordered the new 2020 4800r ultra on day one and installed it around 10/17 replacing another Roku Ultra 2017 edition. Everything worked fine on the Ultra 2017 edition. Nothing changed on my setup other than swapping out the old roku for the new. Now I have the following problems:

1. Youtube.tv will occasionally start displaying a black screen when selecting any channel. Only solution is to restart Roku which resolves the problem.

2. Remote control issues controlling my TV/Receiver - occasionally the volume up and down buttons will start muting instead of controlling the volume - only way to fix is to go through the remote setup again and it resolves the issue.

3. Remote control issues controlling my TV/Receiver - the 2017 roku powered everything on and off just fine. The new one - when I hit the power off button, it sits there for about 5 seconds, then shuts off the receiver and TV, then about 2 seconds after that, everything turns back on. If I hit the power off a second time, this time everything stays off. This happens every time, and I have not been able to resolve this issue.

Again, none of this happened on the 2017, and nothing has changed on my setup. If anyone can help, that would be great! I have been a huge fan of Roku for years, and this is the first time I have had problems. I primarily upgraded for the Atmos support in this model.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
daven_55439
Level 8

Re: Upgraded Ultra to Ultra from 2017 to 2020 4800R - problems

Same issue, ready to return 2020 model.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Rumor69 

Thanks for the post.

In regards to the issues you are mentioned, can you please first provide the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

1) -what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-can you please provide the steps to reproduce this issue

2) which code are you using when you are pairing your remote?

3) can you please provide a tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@daven_55439 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Rumor69
Level 8

I actually switched back to my 2017 and everything is working fine. Also noticed when I turn off the TV using the turn off icon on the 2020 Roku, I get a message that says 'if you are seeing this press *'. And Amazon Prime did the black screen thing where I had to restart to get it to work as well which is the same thing that YouTubeTV did as well.

Model: 4800x - Roku Ultra
Serial number: X010006JU2JK 
Device ID: S02A208JU2JK
Software Version: 9.4.1 build 4208-C2

TV: Samsung Q70 TV
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR686

0 Kudos
daven_55439
Level 8

4800X

X01000CJKS06

S02A209JKS06

9.4.1 build 4208-C2

I really don't think you really understand the issue we are facing.  My Roku is attached to ARC input on my AV receiver, ARC out TV when you power down using the ROKU remote, TV turns off, but receiver stays on.  When I move back to my 2017 model, by just unplugging HDMI and power,  swap units, it powers all off.  Nothing should need to be done to remote, checked all settings on both 2020 and 2017 and they match, but 2020 does not power down ALL like the 2017.  Just like the Rumor69 stated, 2017 works fine, I may return the 2020 because it's just a waste if it's not going to work like 2017. Was going to help some friends set up a 2020 just like my setup, not sure now if it will not turn off the AV Receiver.  Very unhappy customer after many Roku's in my house and family members houses based on my recommendations.   

0 Kudos
Rumor69
Level 8

Confirmed. Same issue. I also failed to mention (like the last person did in the last post) that my TV is also hooked up to the receiver via ARC and CEC is enabled on the TV.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@daven_55439 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nopopolo
Level 7

Same exact issue, old roku turned power on/off for tv and receiver, new roku only turns off tv, NOT receiver. 

0 Kudos
daven_55439
Level 8

Update, found today that it will turn "on" the receiver if it's off, but still will not turn ALL off like it did on 2017 version.  Nothing changed today after update.  Roku are you working on this issue.