Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EVOXGSR
Level 7

Upgrade OS of 4640rw?

I currently have 3 Roku Ultras and 1 of them is a model 4640rw.
They are basically identical except for the built in functionality of FandangoNow.
The 4640rw has to use an app to access FandangoNow which is painfully slow unlike the 4640x.
4K spotlight used to not even work if the movie was FandangoNow now but it seems that has now been fixed.
It thought this lack of FandangoNow intergration was due to purchasing the device at Walmart.
However, I purchased two Roku Premiers for my family from Walmart and both of those has FandangoNow integrated.

I am in search of information whether or not a Roku Ultra 4640rw can utilize the Roku Uktra 4640x OS instead.
The 4640rw FandangoNow app is basically broken compared to the 4640x integration.
I would much rather have the FandangoNow integrated as it is much faster and smoother on the 4640x

Thanks
0 Kudos
11 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Upgrade OS of 4640rw?

Your Ultra is a 4640. The letters at the end only indicate what retail channel it was sold through. I can't say what letters mean what, but yes, all Ultras use the same firmware.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
EVOXGSR
Level 7

Since I own both versions then I know from first hand experience they obviously have something different disabling FandangoNow integration... 

Typically the firmware aka OS is the only difference when I product is rebranded.
Such as the T-Mobile TM-AC1900 and the ASUS RT-AC68U
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

But your Rokus are not rebranded. They all come from Roku with their name on it. I am certain there is no firmware difference between any 4640 regardless of the letters attached at the end. Why is Fandango Now working differently on your boxes? That I can't say, unless for some reason your boxes don't all have the same version of Roku firmware and/or Fandango version. It does happen that boxes don't all update at the same time, even in the same home.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
EVOXGSR
Level 7

The RW is a Walmart exclusive and the unit does not have the FandangoNow Movie Store or TV Store that is built into the 4640x.
Both are running the exact same software version and build.
To use FandangoNow now on the 4640rw you actually have to install the FandangoNow app.

Look I would prefer if someone with some knowledge to respond verse your speculations... as obviously there is something different between the models if the software acts differently.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 8

This is sort of OFF the topic, but I'm a long time Roku user and currently have the Roku 3 which has performed nicely with my Panasonic HD television. I'm about to upgrade to a LG OLED 4K TV and am wondering if its worth upgrading to the 4640x since I use Ethernet with my wired network. Do you folks feel the device performs as good or better than the 3 and do you see much 4K content? Thanks
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"EVOXGSR" wrote:
The RW is a Walmart exclusive and the unit does not have the FandangoNow Movie Store or TV Store that is built into the 4640x.
To use FandangoNow now on the 4640rw you actually have to install the FandangoNow app.

Look I would prefer if someone with some knowledge to respond verse your speculations... as obviously there is something different between the models if the software acts differently.

First, he's not speculating. He's repeating what was previously stated from Roku. You asked for help. He's a user, like you, who's been around here for a bit, as you can see from his date joined and the number of posts, and is offering to help based on information previously experienced or learned from others, or directly from Roku. I, like him, recall that Roku has previously stated that the letter suffix was simply a distribution channel designation, and nothing more. So, no, he's not speculating. If you see a large number of posts from a  person, you can usually bank on what they're saying.

What we have here, though, may be a changing of things as Roku's business evolves. I too have a Roku Ultra from Walmart. It's a newer model than you have, as it's a 4660RW. It's running 8.0.0 build 3120-46. It does not have the Movie Store by Fandango. You see, I'm in the same situation as you. And, like you, I'm curious about what's going on.

You've stated that the software on your Roku Ultra model 4640 devices are all the same, but you've not provided the specifics. Sometimes that helps. A lot of times that helps. So, let's get the exact information listed and see if that offers a clue as to what's going on.

On each device, go to Settings > System > About and confirm that the email address for the Roku account is the same on each. We do not need you to provide the email address(es), just a confirmation that they are the same. If they aren't, mention that.

Next, list the Software Version (including build) for each. For example, mine is 8.0.0 build 3120-46

Next, go to Settings > System > System Update and look at the Last Checked and Last Updated date/times. The Last Checked should be within 24 hours. The Last Updated values should be within 24 hours of each other.

Now, I expect the results to be they're all on the same account, that they're all running the same software version and build (to include all six numbers), and that the date/times are as mentioned. However, if they aren't, that's a big clue, and skipping this would make it difficult to properly resolve. (Note: I have but one Roku Ultra

Let us know what you find. In the meantime, perhaps someone at Roku (perhaps RokuShawnS) can let us know if the suffix/distribution channel now means something related to software installations. Or perhaps someone who's been in direct contact with Roku can offer insight.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"Basil" wrote:

Let us know what you find. In the meantime, perhaps someone at Roku (perhaps RokuShawnS) can let us know if the suffix/distribution channel now means something related to software installations. Or perhaps someone who's been in direct contact with Roku can offer insight.

The suffix means absolutely nothing, other than which buttons might appear on the Roku remote control.  There is no difference in the software.  A 4660rw is the same as a 4660x.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"EVOXGSR" wrote:

Here ya go.
"RokuShawnS" wrote:
The suffix means absolutely nothing, other than which buttons might appear on the Roku remote control.  There is no difference in the software.  A 4660rw is the same as a 4660x.

That's straight from the horse's mouth. That matches what atc98092 said and what I understood.

The point remains that the Roku Ultra (4640) owned by EVOXGSR as well as my Roku Ultra (4660) do not have the Fandango Now built in. Which is unlike my Roku Premiere (4620).

EVOXGSR, you haven't yet posted your software version. You've said they're "the same," but haven't clarified what "the same" is. It might be quite helpful to know what version you're running.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

An update...

After the 8.0 update arrived, the "Movies by Fandango Now" has reappeared on my Roku Premiere purchased from Walmart. So, problem solved.

Actually, the problem is not solved. I crossed up my devices, and was mistaken about the 4660RW having the Movies by Fandango Now entry on the main menu. It still does not have it.

Odd.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos