Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nwt
Level 7

Update to 9.4 caused Dolby Digital Plus ARC output to stop working

I have a TCL 6 series (65R625) connected to a Vizio 5.1 Dolby Atmos soundbar (SB-36512) and I have had Dolby Atmos working for several months. The first time I turned on the system after the 9.4 update my sound stopped working. Every few seconds a pop will sound through the speakers and the source type led on the sound bar will change color. I have set the s/pdif and eARC settings to different options (auto detect, Auto passthrough, etc). Auto detect says it has detected "DD+, DTS" which makes sense because that's what the sound bar was working for the last few months. If I go into the system settings -> CEC to make sure eARC is enabled all the options are checked and the search for CEC devices detects the correct sound bar type and claims eARC and audio control are active. If I change the audio settings to anything without Dolby Digital Plus the piping goes away (but I lose Atmos support). 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
NTM23
Level 9

Re: Update to 9.4 caused Dolby Digital Plus ARC output to stop working

It may just be the TCL/Roku update. That said, is it on the correct input on your Vizio remote? I have the Vizio 5.1.4 and just to be extra sure the sound I want is coming through, I will cycle through inputs to the one I am using. That way I can also see that the correct light (green for Atmos) is coming through. It seems you're doing passthrough (although, does that sound bar have e-ARC?) so make sure you're using HDMI ARC not HDMI In. Also, both sound bar and TV need e-ARC to get Dolby TrueHD Atmos, otherwise you'll get DD+ Atmos. I'm not sure if you're using a video game console or Blu-ray player though, so that may not matter. It does seem like the settings on your TV are correct from the info you've given. Again, it may just be the latest update.

0 Kudos
mtguitarist89
Level 8

I have the same issue on my TCL TV and Vizio sound bar. The only way I can get it to stop is by turning off CEC and using the Vizio remote manually. You can still have it hooked up to the ARC port. It started right around the new release.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku platform model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-external devices make and model
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Nwt
Level 7

Model: A108X

Software version: 9.4.0 build 4190-88

Issue ID MF-473-768

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Nwt 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed along your information to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
SSTEINJR
Level 7

Same issue with Dolby Atmos disappeaing after the update

Tech support created a case several days ago and no one has contacted me. 

I switched the HDMI setting from Auto to 2.0 and now I get Dolby Atmos again through my arc only AVR. Don't know if it's a fix or fluke, but thought I would share. 

0 Kudos
Pitbosskev
Level 7

Any update on this? I lost Dolby Digital from my 6 series TCL recently. 

0 Kudos
Nwt
Level 7

Support supposedly is looking into this (see early comment) but I haven't heard anything in several weeks. @SSTEINJR's solution didn't work for me unfortunately

0 Kudos
Nwt
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R is there any eta on an update for this? If not is there anyway for me to roll back the software to before the 9.4 update 

0 Kudos