Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChadLampson
Reel Rookie

Update Fails At 49% every attempt

Jump to solution

When setting up a new Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)   the software update fails at 49% on every attempt.   Internet is a full gigabit to the router, the wifi is very close by and well within range, and everything else on the router and wifi is working rock solid.  this is 1st new roku product in 7 years, replacing one that got accidently bounced down the stairs moving... I am disapointed that there is no live support, don't make me return and get a competitor's product, as I use to respect roku.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Update Fails At 49% every attempt

Jump to solution

I'm not a fan of the Express models, but I wouldn't give up on Roku itself. The new Express 4K/4K+ is a completely different animal than the original Express, and I strongly recommend it. I've also never had any issues with my Premiere or any of the three Ultra models I have.

Now, as to your issue. Sometimes the initial setup doesn't work correctly with the user's home network. There is absolutely zero reason for it, but it happens. What has worked for others (and again this makes no sense) is to connect the Roku to an alternate Internet source, such as a phone hotspot. Against any reason, the update completes, then works just fine on the home Internet connection. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
atc98092

Jump to solution

I'm not a fan of the Express models, but I wouldn't give up on Roku itself. The new Express 4K/4K+ is a completely different animal than the original Express, and I strongly recommend it. I've also never had any issues with my Premiere or any of the three Ultra models I have.

Now, as to your issue. Sometimes the initial setup doesn't work correctly with the user's home network. There is absolutely zero reason for it, but it happens. What has worked for others (and again this makes no sense) is to connect the Roku to an alternate Internet source, such as a phone hotspot. Against any reason, the update completes, then works just fine on the home Internet connection. 

Dan

ChadLampson
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I finally got it working by geeking out and applying my FCC licensing (amature radio) and tying into a friend's network about 70 or 80 miles out from me.  when all else fails, apply a bigger hammer 🙂

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Great! 73’s 😄

Dan