Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chazzman
Level 7

Update 3700X for $20 -- does my old Roku stop working?

I'm ready to take advantage of a new offer for an Upgrade as an owner of a model 3700X. For $20 I get a new, faster Roku. But the offer seems to imply that my old Roku could stop working -- it's an "Upgrade" and not simply a new Roku. There's nothing that implies I'd have to send in my old Roku.

Is there anything I'll eventually regret? Or am I just reading too much into it.

Thanks in advance . . .

0 Kudos
5 Replies
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Update 3700X for $20 -- does my old Roku stop working?

You're probably reading too much into it.  You can keep your old device and it will keep working.  The 3700 is even on the list of devices that are still getting updates (unlike some older Rokus), but no one knows how long that will continue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Chazzman
Level 7

Thank you very much for the follow-up. I'm going for it . . .

0 Kudos
C_Eyak
Level 7

my 3700X is extremely unstable with Roku's latest software updates so i replaced it with their current "Roku Express HD Streaming Media Player" 3930X model ($22 bucks @@Amazon).  it's fast and works perfectly.  disappointing though that the 3700X model - released 2016 - became obsolete that fast?  whatever¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0 Kudos
Mdforseth
Level 7

Planned obsolescence?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Mdforseth wrote:

Planned obsolescence?

No, just newer technology outpacing older technology. The cheap devices are cheap for a reason. They don't have all the latest and greatest. As new technology and standards emerge, they fall by the wayside. The more expensive devices are often able to handle the new tech and standards.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos