Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
THEKILLERDON
Reel Rookie

Unable to screen mirror with Smart View

I have a S10 5G that won't mirror with my TCL 5 Series. I've tried resetting the tv, turning my phone's WiFi off/on. Nothing seems to work, all my smart view says when I try to connect after a minute is to power off the device (TV) which I've done and still no luck. I can mirror my YouTube app within YouTube tho, can someone help? What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Unable to screen mirror with Smart View

Mirroring=remote display of entire screen  (Roku supports Miracast and AirPlay2)

Casting=remote control of one app (Roku supports DIAL and AirPlay2 and PlayOnRoku)

(You're aren't mirroring your YouTube session, you are casting it using a protocol called DIAL)

You didn't mention your Roku TV model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About)

Otherwise:

1) Verify screen mirroring of Roku is configured/working properly:

A) Settings/System/Screen mirroring/Screen mirroring mode=Prompt

B) Settings/System/Screen mirroring/Screen mirroring devices/Always blocked=none

C) Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Device connect=Enabled

D) Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile devices=Default

E) Always select "Always allow" when prompted by the Roku

F) Test with another Android Miracast-capable device

Try:

1) Disable/re-enable WiFi connection of phone/tablet/PC - try again

2) Restart Roku/phone/tablet/PC/modem/router/gateway - try again

3) Switch Roku and/or phone/tablet/PC to 2.4Ghz SSID or 5Ghz SSID - try again

4) Delete all devices under Always Allow - try again

0 Kudos
THEKILLERDON
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your response, this is a TCL Series 5 with the latest 10 OS. I tried all of your suggestions, except rebooting my modem. I can see the device in my smart view app, but when I try to connect I don't get anything to pop up on the TV so I can allow the connection. Both devices are on the same network, I've used the mirror function with an LG and had no issues. I appreciate any help 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@THEKILLERDON wrote:

Thank you for your response, this is a TCL Series 5 with the latest 10 OS. I tried all of your suggestions, except rebooting my modem. I can see the device in my smart view app, but when I try to connect I don't get anything to pop up on the TV so I can allow the connection. Both devices are on the same network, I've used the mirror function with an LG and had no issues. I appreciate any help 

Try Network Connection reset:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset

"latest 10 OS" could be many different builds and is effectively meaningless.  Likewise "TCL Series 5" isnt specific as to the Roku model #.

What is the model # and firmware version from Settings/System/About?

You switched either/both devices from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz SSIDs, and/or vice versa?

Are you saying you were able to successfully Miracast-mirror from an LG phone to your Roku TV?

What devices are listed under Settings/System/Screen mirroring/Screen mirroring devices for both Allowed and Blocked?

0 Kudos
THEKILLERDON
Reel Rookie

TCL model 55S531, software version 10.0.0 build 42098-88. I attempted both WiFi frequencies with no luck, I connected my Samsung Galaxy S10 5G to a LG smart tv via smart view with no issues. Screen mirroring devices show as none for both allowed and blocked. All other settings are how you advised. I haven't reset my modem though, if all else fails I'll try that next 

0 Kudos
THEKILLERDON
Reel Rookie

@StreamerUser 

This is the only pop up I get in Smart View after I select the Roku to connectThis is the only pop up I get in Smart View after I select the Roku to connect

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

That's the most recent build of OS10.

You need to narrow the scope for your Roku's screen mirroring issue - you need to try to Miracast-mirror to it from another device (another Android device, Windows 8.1/10, etc - something with Miracast capabilities).

If you can Miracast-mirror to it from a device other than your Samsung, then you know its most likely your Samsung phone - if it cant, then its most likely your Roku TV.

Samsung has made some significant changes to SmartView in Android 11/OneUI 3.x, including the removal of GoogleCast (ChromeCast) protocol support.

Roku also has had issues in the recent past - Miracast connections from Android 10/OneUI 2.x devices failed connection when the Roku was connected to a 2.4Ghz SSID (this appeared with Android 10/OneUI 2.x upgrades winter/spring 2020 with OS 9.2/9.3, and was fixed in OS9.4 last fall).

Its possible a similar situation is happening here with Android 11/OneUI 3.x, but try narrowing the scope as advised.