Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Ultra vs Ultra LT

@cordcutternewbi Thanks for the note. I've added some additional options based on your feedback. 

It looks like others have hopped in to address your questions. Keep us posted if there's anything else we can assist with. 

Thanks! 

Tanner

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Level 9

I have a micro SD adapter that plugs into a USB port.

The Ultra LT has a micro SD slot but not a USB port whereas the Ultra has a USB port but not a micro SD slot.

So, I'm wondering if I can plug a powered USB hub into the USB port on the Ultra & be able to watch media from an external hard drive  as well as plug my micro SD adapter into the hub & expand the storage.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I would doubt it.  It would most likely recognize that microSD card in the adapter as just another USB drive.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

No, the USB port is only configured to provide power. It's not a data port so no external adapters will work. 

Dan

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Level 9

I believe that I read online that the USB port is for plugging in external hard drives to view pictures & videos. There's already a power connector.

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Level 9

0 Kudos
renojim

@atc98092must have had too much egg nog.  :-)  I know he knows the USB port on an Ultra is for attaching storage devices for media playback, but not for channel storage.

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, egg on my face. My brain was thinking we were discussing something other than the Ultra. All Ultra models, with the exception of the Ultra LT, have a USB port that can be used to play media from an attached storage device (portable hard drive or USB stick). There are some other model Roku players that have a micro-USB port, but that is for powering the player, and cannot be used as a data port. Sorry for the confusion. Smiley Very Happy

Dan

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Level 9

I can't decide between the Ultra or the Ultra LT.

The LT has a SD card port which the Ultra doesn't have. The Ultra has a USB port which the Ultra LT doesn't have.

I have an Apple laptop. I know that some Roku streaming boxes support Apple Air Play. I reckon that I can hook an external hard drive to my laptop & use Air Play to stream pictures & videos to the Ultra LT, right?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@cordcutternewbi wrote:

I can't decide between the Ultra or the Ultra LT.

The LT has a SD card port which the Ultra doesn't have. The Ultra has a USB port which the Ultra LT doesn't have.

I have an Apple laptop. I know that some Roku streaming boxes support Apple Air Play. I reckon that I can hook an external hard drive to my laptop & use Air Play to stream pictures & videos to the Ultra LT, right?

Yes, AirPlay will do that. But it's simpler to stream the media using DLNA. That way you don't have to worry about the media being in a supported format, and it also makes it available to more than one player at a time.

Also if it helps, the Ultra LT has 1 GB of operating memory, while the Ultra 4670 and 4800 both have 2 GB. This should make them a little more responsive, plus the 4800 has a faster processor. I have one and it's noticeably faster than the older Ultra models. 

Dan

0 Kudos