Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cordcutternewbi
Level 9

Re: Ultra vs Ultra LT

I'm sorry that I keep asking questions! Every time that I think that I've asked all the questions, something in the post replies brings up another question! I do believe that I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I researched DLNA. I have a Mac & in order to use DLNA I have to pay $20 for an app that I install on my Mac. I also read about setting up a server & renderer. I don't want to get involved in setting up a server. I want to keep it simple. I just want to connect my laptop wirelessly to the Roku. I read online that the latest version of Roku OS (9.4) supports Apple AirPlay. Based on what I read online, it seems though that AirPlay only works on the Ultra not the Ultra LT. I assume that AirPlay works on both, doesn't it?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Since you intend to use this Roku device with a future 4K TV, and that future 4K TV is likely to be 4K HDR with Dolby Vision, I'd recommend getting the 4800 (2020 Ultra), considering it is the only model with DV and DA decoding (Dolby Atmos) for NetFlix support.

Furthermore, the 4800 can transcode audio output - which no other recent year model can do (aside from the 4640 (2016 Ultra), which does not have Atmos decoding support) - which is very useful when connecting it to older equipment that doesnt have a DD+ decoder.

So if you want to future/past proof your setup with the most connection/configuration flexibility, get the 2020 Ultra (4800).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@cordcutternewbi wrote:

I'm sorry that I keep asking questions! Every time that I think that I've asked all the questions, something in the post replies brings up another question! I do believe that I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I researched DLNA. I have a Mac & in order to use DLNA I have to pay $20 for an app that I install on my Mac. I also read about setting up a server & renderer. I don't want to get involved in setting up a server. I want to keep it simple. I just want to connect my laptop wirelessly to the Roku. I read online that the latest version of Roku OS (9.4) supports Apple AirPlay. Based on what I read online, it seems though that AirPlay only works on the Ultra not the Ultra LT. I assume that AirPlay works on both, doesn't it?

There are DLNA servers that don't cost anything. Serviio (www.serviio.org) is one for certain, and there are others. I've used Serviio for years and even wrote the profiles for Roku devices. It really isn't difficult to set up a DLNA server. 

AirPlay works on most Roku 4K devices. I'd have to look up the specific model numbers, but I'm pretty sure the Ultra LT is supported. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Level 9

I checked Wikipedia yesterday.

Both the Ultra & the Ultra LT have only 512MB of memory for storing channels. That's why I'm leaning towards the LT.

The smallest capacity SD card that I saw on the Best Buy website is 16GB.

Just how many channels will 512MB store? 16GB would be able to store lots & lots of channels.

I saw this note in the Wikipedia Roku entry:

In the first generation players, the size of flash memory limited the number of channels that could be installed. Later models (>2100) removed that limit. How is it possible to store an unlimited number of channels in 512MB of memory?

I guess that when the channel memory starts to get full, a message will pop up on the screen & one will have to remove some channels, right?

The model number of the LT, according to the Roku website, is 4662RW.

The LT has 1GB of RAM & the Ultra has 2GB. HMMM, now I'm leaning towards the Ultra!

0 Kudos
atc98092

There's no limit because the device will automatically unload the least used channel and re-download the desired channel. No user action necessary. I've never used an SD card, and only rarely has it had to perform this function. But then I usually don't use more than 10 channels. You really can't estimate how many channels can be loaded on 512 MB, as not every channel takes the same space. And it's been said (no idea if it's accurate) that a device will only use about 2 GB of an SD card, regardless of its size. 

I have three different versions of the Ultra: 4640, 4670 and the new 4800. There's no question the 4800 is noticeably faster responding with the additional RAM and faster processor. I haven't updated my AVR yet, so haven't tested the Dolby Vision ability yet. 

Dan

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Level 9

I read online that there is a 32GB limit on SD cards for the LT. I also read online that only 2GB to 4GB maximum are used. Good luck finding a 2GB or a 4GB SD card nowadays!

I reckon that you have convinced me to get the Ultra instead of the Ultra LT. The Ultra has twice the RAM of the LT & a faster processor & supports protocols that are not supported by the LT.

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Level 9

OOPS! I thought of another question.

I found out online that Roku is a closed system that doesn't allow jail-breaking & side-loads.

There's 512MB of storage. Does the Roku OS occupy some of that 512MB?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@cordcutternewbi wrote:

OOPS! I thought of another question.

I found out online that Roku is a closed system that doesn't allow jail-breaking & side-loads.

There's 512MB of storage. Does the Roku OS occupy some of that 512MB?

Roku devices have two different types of memory. The Roku LT has 512 MB of channel storage memory. The operating system does not use any of that space. The LT has 1 GB of operational memory, I don't know if the OS is stored in the operational memory, or if it's stored on some other chip and only uses the operational memory while powered up. 

Yes, the Roku is a closed system. The OS is based on Linux, but highly modified and nothing can be side-loaded. 

Dan

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Level 9

I assumed that the Roku OS is not in the 512MB. But wherever it is stored, the memory has to be updateable because Roku updates the OS periodically.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@cordcutternewbi wrote:

I assumed that the Roku OS is not in the 512MB. But wherever it is stored, the memory has to be updateable because Roku updates the OS periodically.

Yes, it's updatable memory. I'm certain it's not in the channel storage memory (the 512 MB portion on the LT). I'm just not certain where it is stored. There may be a dedicated NVRAM chip for the OS, or it could be part of the operational memory area. Either way, yes it can be refreshed/updated.

Dan

0 Kudos