Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra vs Ultra LT

I'm researching cutting the cord.

I have a 1080P TV but when it dies I want to get a 4K TV. The remote must have a mute button on it. I also want 802.11ac.

So that narrows my choices down to the Streaming Stick+ HE, the Ultra LT or the Ultra.

The Ultra LT has only the Micro SD slot whereas the Ultra has both a USB port & a Micro SD slot.

What are they used for?

I believe that I read online that the USB is used to connect an external flash drive or hard drive for showing pictures (videos?) on the TV. Is the Micro SD slot for expanding the storage for installing more apps?

Just how much storage for apps is available on each device? What's the maximum number of apps that can be stored on each device?

P.S. What label do I enter when none of the given choices apply?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Ultra vs Ultra LT

Don't worry about the Micro SD slot. Kind of overrated. You can install the same # off Roku channels on all of your Roku's- the micro SD slot helps by keeping more of the channels cached, vs having to download the code for less-used channels every time it's loaded. Again, only for your less-used channels.

The USB port is for external drives, as you said Photos, music, and videos.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Is there a maximum capacity SC card that Roku recommends? I guess that the card doesn't have to be super-fast. Does it become part of the operating system? In other words, don't take it out.

This will be my first foray into streaming. I'm retired & don't want to pay FIOS $160/month.

There's so much to learn! Hardware, streaming services, apps!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@cordcutternewbi wrote:

Is there a maximum capacity SC card that Roku recommends? I guess that the card doesn't have to be super-fast. Does it become part of the operating system? In other words, don't take it out.

Anything over 4 GB really doesn't do anything. They do seem to be sensitive to brand or type, but since I've never used one I can't offer any suggestions. As Jeff mentioned, they really aren't needed. Yes, they kind of become part of the OS, but it doesn't hurt anything to remove them. They only store apps to speed loading, and the SD card does nothing to improve performance (other than loading seldom used channels more quickly). It can't be used to store any other data. 

Don't make any comparisons with the Roku LT. That is an ancient, legacy player that isn't supported any longer. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Legacy LT?
I'm comparing the Ultra to the Ultra LT. The Ultra LT is new, isn't it?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

The LT is a new "exclusive" model.. Another wolf in sheep's clothing.. I believe available only at Walmart..

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra-lt
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I hate it when Roku recycles an old name for a new device. Yep, they got me. The original LT was a second generation device from 2011. I can't believe they reused that name. Sorry about that. I didn't notice you put Ultra LT in the title, which would have puzzled me anyway. Smiley Surprised

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
shep5556
Level 7

Not a expert but as I understand it the Ultra LT is the prior version of the Ultra and is now only available at Walmart. The new version of the Ultra will be released on October 13th 2019 and has a upgraded faster processor and other upgrades. I would suggest preordering the Ultra and waiting a couple weeks to get it. The other advantage to the Ultra vs others is the ability to hardwire it to ethernet. 

0 Kudos

Are all of the Rokus vented, including the new Rokus? All Rokus have 4-core CPUs. I would think that without ventilation, the CPU would overheat.

Which brings up another related subject. Do Roku owners have a tech-support number to call if the Roku malfunctions? Does each device have self-diagnostics? I suppose that there are no Roku-authorized repair stores if a Roku needs to be fixed.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@cordcutternewbi wrote:

Are all of the Rokus vented, including the new Rokus? All Rokus have 4-core CPUs. I would think that without ventilation, the CPU would overheat.

Which brings up another related subject. Do Roku owners have a tech-support number to call if the Roku malfunctions? Does each device have self-diagnostics? I suppose that there are no Roku-authorized repair stores if a Roku needs to be fixed.

They all have venting of some manner. But some devices are sealed much tighter than others. Only the Roku 4 had active cooling (an internal fan)

According to the Wiki, all 6th and 7th generation Roku players (last and current generation) use the ARM Cortex A53 CPU. From the documentation I can find, the A53 comes with anywhere from 1 to 4 cores. The Roku web sites says the Ultra has 4 cores, but lower end models might not. I can't find any information about it's heat dissipation rating. 

Roku does have a customer support phone number. It's not toll-free, and you have to click through the self-help section of their site to get it. They will remove it if it's posted here. But that is a customer support line, and they really aren't much for tech support. You can get better response by contacting the Roku forum admins here, who appear to be very responsive to customers requesting assistance. The boxes do not have any diagnostic functions available to the user. And when you consider the price of a Roku player, the cost to repair almost anything would exceed the price of a new player. That's the way with most home electronic items. The way they are manufactured, and the time and effort it takes to diagnose and repair are just too high, compared to what new items sell for. 

Dan
0 Kudos