Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CEG
Level 7

Ultra Specs

Does anybody have a link to detailed specs for the Ultra?  I'm curious about the processor and memory.  I did find after searching one site from last fall that indicated the Ultra only has one gig of ram.  Of course, a gig is a step up from the Roku 3, but not equal to fireTV boxes.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Ultra Specs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison is a start
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

Thanks!  These are the same numbers I found last night.  Quad core at 1.2 GHz and only 1GB of memory appears, just looking at the numbers, to make the Ultra at the 130.00 I paid lat fall a less powerful streamer than my fireTV boxes with 2GB of memory and up to 2 GHz quad cores.

In the real world they all perform about the same, but I'm surprised the Ultra is not more of a power house.

My biggest complaint with Roku's, has been and remains the thick, heavy remotes.  fireTV, Nexus Player, and appleTV all have nice light and slim remotes.  I rarely actually use my Ultra, because of the remote, which is kind of sad.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"CEG" wrote:
Thanks!  These are the same numbers I found last night.  Quad core at 1.2 GHz and only 1GB of memory appears, just looking at the numbers, to make the Ultra at the 130.00 I paid lat fall a less powerful streamer than my fireTV boxes with 2GB of memory and up to 2 GHz quad cores.

In the real world they all perform about the same, but I'm surprised the Ultra is not more of a power house.

My biggest complaint with Roku's, has been and remains the thick, heavy remotes.  fireTV, Nexus Player, and appleTV all have nice light and slim remotes.  I rarely actually use my Ultra, because of the remote, which is kind of sad.

Specs don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.  Android based devices are continuously adding more and more memory to phones just to deal with the massive miss management of memory that Android does.  I know nobody has one, but Windows phones are spec'd far lower than Android counter parts because they utilize system resources better.  Not that you can do anything with the phone anyway, but...
The AppleTV remote is horrible, i don't care how thin or light it is, it sucks.  Curious which was the last Roku remote you handled?  The one that came with the streaming stick is pretty small.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

I am using the remote that came with my Ultra.  I pulled out an old one that came with a 3 I once had and added batteries, but it's the same remote, really.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"CEG" wrote:

Tastes vary rather dramatically. I detest the flimsy tiny remote from the Fire and the Shield's remote is even worse. The only thing I dislike in general about the Roku's remotes is the "special" channel buttons and that is easily handled by popping those annoying things out and tossing them in the appropriate repository.
I like the feel and heft of the Roku remote. Many of the others, like the Fire's, feel, to me, like I might break them by a simple keypress.
As far as the specs and the performance of the Ultra goes I see little difference between my Roku 3 and my Ultra in most tasks but in some channels, MLS and Watch ESPN for example, the Ultra does perform snappier.
There are some other negative aspects of the Ultra that for me outweigh its slightly better performance but it really comes down to "do you really need any of the features or extras the Ultra provides". 
I use my Roku 3 in preference over my Ultra most of the time because the performance is about the same and the Roku 3 is more stable and the Roku 3's remote is better because it does not have the stupid, badly placed and, for me, useless voice search button.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

Yep.  People are different.  I actually have a 1st and 2nd gen fireTV and the 1st gen's remote is even smaller and it has a texture to it that makes it grippy and for some reason I like the hell out of it. Smiley Happy  It's very tight and sleek and there is no creaky noise when you grip it.

I've owned tons of Roku's and I have never been a fan of the remote.  I watch lots of YouTube videos, so I'm a constant remote jockey.  I'm much less likely to get carpal tunnel from the smaller, lighter  fireTV remotes. :lol:  Seriously, the smaller remote is a little easier to me to wield.

Performance wise the Ultra is definitely the most powerful Roku I've owned and seems every bit as snappy as any fireTV.  Now, if they would fix that little occasional popping/snapping sound you hear from it I would like it even more.  It will be around for some time to come, so maybe it will be patched.

Thinking about it:  I'm going to try to make peace with the remote, so I will use the Ultra more.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"CEG" wrote:
Yep.  People are different.  I actually have a 1st and 2nd gen fireTV and the 1st gen's remote is even smaller and it has a texture to it that makes it grippy and for some reason I like the flower out of it. Smiley Happy  It's very tight and sleek and there is no creaky noise when you grip it.

I've owned tons of Roku's and I have never been a fan of the remote.  I watch lots of YouTube videos, so I'm a constant remote jockey.  I'm much less likely to get carpal tunnel from the smaller, lighter  fireTV remotes. :lol:  Seriously, the smaller remote is a little easier to me to wield.

Performance wise the Ultra is definitely the most powerful Roku I've owned and seems every bit as snappy as any fireTV.  Now, if they would fix that little occasional popping/snapping sound you hear from it I would like it even more.  It will be around for some time to come, so maybe it will be patched.

Thinking about it:  I'm going to try to make peace with the remote, so I will use the Ultra more.

From that I see the differences that maybe make our remote preferences different: 
I virtually never watch YouTube.
I do not hold onto my remote much. I pick it up and use it and put it down.

Of course the content we watch probably has a LOT to do with remote preferences. 
The mention of having older Rokus brought up what for me is a sour point about virtually all modern remotes. They are not designed to be operated while sitting on a table. My old Roku N1000 had a remote I could lie on a table and reach over in the dark and easily find and press any button. I also had several other device remotes and universal remotes that all, or virtually all, could be operated while sitting on a table. Virtually no remote that I have acquired in the last several years are flat on the bottom they are all rounded in some way that either makes it unstable when on a table or, like some of the fire remotes, make it so that if you press a button on the outside of the remote it flips up and sometimes even flips over. I guess manufacturers think that everybody wants to hold and fondle their remotes all the time and never set them down. 
BTW: For anyone that likes to lay their remote on a table and use them that way I have found a solution that works for me. A beanbag stand (or holder) can be found that conforms to the shape of the remote and allows it to be operated while sitting on a table. I found several on Amazon a few years ago and they have been serving me well.

I do use a Harmony universal remote with a hub but even that remote is rounded on the bottom. The one saving grace of all this for remote control is my Echo combined with the Harmony and using Yonomi. I can say "Alexia turn on Ultra" or "Alexia turn on Fire" and have the correct input selected on my TV and receiver and anything that is off turn on. I do have to use my remote to navigate on the device mostly but once my content is selected I can say "Alexa tell Harmony Play" or "Pause" and the content will start or stop playing on virtually every device and some have even more complete control than others.
Remotes are both the godsend and the bane of current media usage. When I was growing up my dad had a remote control, me. I remember him saying "Son switch the TV to channel ??" Many many times. When I was told I would get up and walk to the TV and turn the selector to one of the three channels we could receive and adjust the antenna and volume if needed.
TV watching was much simpler back in the day.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
aaronwt
Level 8

"CEG" wrote:

My ROku Ultra remote is so much better than the thin FireTV remote. The small remotes actually hurt my hands if I try to hold them for awhile(I have arthritis, Carpel Tunnel, and trigger finger issues in both my hands). But I don't have that issue with larger remotes like the Roku Ultra has.
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos
Nebo1ss
Level 7

"CEG" wrote:

I suspect the box was deliberately designed to operate without a FAN and hence the limitation on specification. They got burned very badly with the ROKU 4 which was their first device with a FAN and the FAN was very unreliable and noisy for some users.
0 Kudos