Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retpgmr
Reel Rookie

Ultra 2020 has a flashing white light

My Ultra 2020 is working fine and has been since I purchased it in May 2021. Today the white light on the front of the unit started constantly flashing on/off. Everything is working fine, it says I have an excellent network connection, the remote battery is 82%. I have no problem with any of the apps, Pandora, Amazon Prime, Roku, or HBO Max. Can anyone tell me why all of a sudden this light is flashing and not just staying on constant while I am using the unit? Should I be concerned?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Ultra 2020 has a flashing white light

I thought the flashing light indicated no network connection, but perhaps the 4800 changed that. If it's still connected and working, personally I would probably ignore it. Of course, if it's in your line of sight while watching the TV screen, it might be distracting. 

It could possibly be indicating an over-temp condition, so maybe see if you can reposition it somewhere it might have more room to breathe. That said, Roku players by design often get pretty warm, so if it feels warm it might not be a problem. My 4800 actually runs quite cool, but it sits on top of a computer that generates very little heat, and it's completely open to the room air circulation, not inside a cabinet of some kind. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

The light will flash every time a remote button is pressed, but since you say it's working fine it doesn't seem like a button could be stuck, but try blocking the front of it from any possible source of light/IR and see if it stops.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Davidsco27
Binge Watcher

Mine is doing the same thing. It would helpful if someone knowledgeable from Roku told us what it is

0 Kudos

Mine is also flashing but everything is working. However, after a couple hours , it will shut off and not turn back on unless I unplug it and plug it back in to reset it. Answers please. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Bobscottsmith

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the newest Roku OS 10.5 has added a new Power item in Settings > System menu for some Roku models. If you have this Power item, under Auto power savings see if deactivating After 20 minutes of no interaction fixes the problem.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
KCJC2

Not only does mine flash it shuts off when Roku is working, for a short while then acts up, screen blinks, freezes, no audio then goes blank and won't work for 30-60mins or until unplugged and plug back in, been an issue for months and a friend said wait for its update to fix it.  It claims it has newest update as of March 2022.  I cannot use Roku as expected.  I own 3 of the same model and 2 act up even on all 3 of my tvs and no matter what HDMI port or cable, VERY FRUSTRATING and no help from Roku Support and have 3 service tickets via email. I have reset them and left them unplugged for 2dys then plug back in, work a bit then act up. They are out in open on a desk not blocked or covered either to prevent overheating. Wish to exchange for replacements.

BJB
Streaming Star

@KCJC2 

My Roku Ultra has just started doing this also!  Did you ever get this fixed!  I have no power setting under System as mentioned above.  Your description is EXACTLY what I am experiencing now months later.  My Ultra runs on ethernet and I have never had these issues. 

I own 5 Rokus and recommend them to everyone because they just work.....and are fast.

But what is up with this?!

BJB

0 Kudos