Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sdaigre
Level 7

Re: USB hard drive for Roku Ultra

Hi, I read through many of the posts because I received the Ultra for father's day and when Plex started crashing (still working on that problem), I tried to play my movie collection from a WD 2Tb external drive like I've done for years on prior Roku devices and boom, same problem as you guys. It doesn't even recognize the device when plugged into the USB port. I have a powered hub for another project so I tried it on the Ultra. YES!! It worked. So I went to Staples and bought a 3.0 with 4 ports powered. It was on sale for $30...a bit pricy (normally $60) for a hub. But I'm sure you could find one cheaper but this one includes a Rapid Charging feature which will work well with my boys who burn through chargers like chain smokers! Anyway, the powered hub is working great for playing back movies from the external drive through the Ultra usb port. Hope this helps and thanks for posting on the forum. I would not have thought of giving it a try without reading your posts. Best to All!
0 Kudos
Charles62
Level 8

As long as I use my external power then my 2 TB western digital should work on my 4660rw roku USB right
0 Kudos
Charles62
Level 8

I would have thought the new ultra would be 3.0 instead of 2.0
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

"Charles62" wrote:
I would have thought the new ultra would be 3.0 instead of 2.0

Yes, using external power your drive should be fine. There's really no reason for USB 3.0 for this use. You aren't making large file transfers, only streaming the video from the external device. The 2.0 spec has far more speed than you need for that.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mrdwpman
Level 7

any updates on this topic. My external drive still not seen with powered USB hub. does it make a difference what hub i am using?
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 9

I recently got a Roku Ultra. I hooked up my Toshiba Canvio 3TB USB3 drive to it. The Ultra recognized it and played most of my lossless MKV blu-ray conversions just fine. The only problem was with the ones that have DTS-HD-MA or DolbyTrueHD soundtracks. Video played, but no audio since the Ultra (mysteriously and stupidly) does not support HD audio passthrough. Because of this one glaringly huge flaw in an otherwise awesome device, I returned it.
0 Kudos