Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MamboKings
Level 7

USB HFS+ hard drive is not recognized by Roku Ultra

My Roku Ultra does not acknowledge a connected Mac-created HFS+ drive. The Roku Ultra does recognize and display files on a USB thumb drive. That drive has the FAT32 file system on it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: USB HFS+ hard drive is not recognized by Roku Ultra

Per the Roku support page for playing local media, "Roku Media Player supports drives that are formatted with the FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, and HFS+ file systems."

That said, I've seem more than one Mac user have issues when using HFS+, while NTFS or FAT32 works fine. generally the simplest fix is to just use NTFS. There's apparently a low cost app for the Mac that can create and read/write NTFS, so that's the easiest way to resolve it.

One thing the Roku support page doesn't mention is disc size. Depending on the size of your HFS+ partition that might be an issue. Also, if the drive you're connecting doesn't have external power, that too might cause a problem.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
MamboKings
Level 7

atc98092, thanks for your response.

So some folks have had success with HFS+ drives but not all folks? I was also wondering whether there may be any naming restrictions in addition to drive/partition size or whether journaled vs not journaled might be a factor. I would like to stay with HFS+ if I can. My hard drive is 1TB in size. Any pointers to finding a answer is appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

I wouldn't expect a 1 TB drive to be an issue, but as I mentioned if it's a drive that doesn't have an external power supply that might be an issue. I know next to nothing about a Mac, so I really can't offer much more. Hopefully someone with experience with MacOS can chime in. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos