Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lasvegasmom
Level 8

UPSET WITH ROKU

So.... I am finally learning the shadiness of Roku after my elderly parents started having overage charges thru their internet company! After reading many topics on the newer roku (I had one for 5 years and never issue, but didn't stream) it seems you have to jump thru some weird sequence to get to the bit override screen and get a lower bandwidth!!!! Why ROKU WHY? Why is a weird sequence to change the bandwidth? Why not make it simple click here to change your bandwidth?!!!! Now, I change it and guess what??? hmmmm it doesn't save so it is always going to be at 12!!!!! I am livid and Best Buy better return this ridiculous rip off device or you need to accept return and give money back!!!! And how convenient no live rep to speak with! Horrible customer service! So, we that buy are supposed to just talk amongst ourselves to solve issues?? I think now a new smart tv with built in apps will be only solution! Pissed

9 Replies
Lmaris
Level 8

Re: UPSET WITH ROKU

"I had one for 5 years and never issue, but didn't stream"

If you don't stream, you don't use bandwidth.  

You can throttle down the streaming rate on many of the streaming apps too, with very little if any degrading of qualities.

This isn't Roku's fault.  

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 14

Those secret screens are hard to find because they are, well, secret screens, meant for developer testing. Most major streaming services don't pay any attention to them anyway (but many have their own settings.)  Just because you can find some magic cookie on the internet, doesn't mean it's useful.

lasvegasmom
Level 8

Gee ok thx man! U are helpful 

0 Kudos
lasvegasmom
Level 8

Hey! I streamed using old Roku not an issue ever! And I’ve been streaming from my super smart tv for years!!! So, I actually do stream, so bad wording on my end. Actually, why is Roku setting a bandwidth you cannot change?! Sorry it’s their fault and yes they are bad and thx for ur input ! Helpful! Lovely how Roku passes the buck to the Roku community and not speak for themselves! Fire stick here I come! At least u can easily set best, better and good bandwidth with no secret steps meant for internal usage lol! Great customer service !

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 14

OK, here's Roku speaking for themselves.  You're welcome.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Reducing-buffering-by-changing-y...

From the link:

"Also, former internal development options that may have been available in 'secret screens' are not functions that have ever been supported by use for consumers, and were purely for developmental purposes. The bitrate option you're referring to did not apply to all channels or use-cases, and was intended as a diagnostic tool for very specific use cases...."

0 Kudos
lasvegasmom
Level 8

Actually no thank you! You are just listing what Roku is saying and you probably work for them! Hey guess what technology is ever changing man... how long has this lame top secret cia secret screen been around and passed around? Roku has made so many new ones Over the years or hey how about this... they spew out updates a lot !!! How about they remove the feature or come up with a super duper even more cia / fbi secret screen code we can’t find!!! Bye ! Not helpful 

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 14

I gave you that link because you said: " Lovely how Roku passes the buck to the Roku community and not speak for themselves!"  So, there, you've gotten the answer from the community and from Roku.  That screen wasn't mean for us and isn't generally useful to us.  That's why they made it a little hard to find (your original complaint.)

But as I said in my first reply, many streaming services do have their own settings that do actually work. (And so they don’t hide them.)

0 Kudos
1947star
Level 7

I am trying to set up my Roku on my TV and it's not working how do I set it back up

0 Kudos
mad2
Level 7

Poor service poor customer service a ripoff

0 Kudos