Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plippard
Level 7

Turning off TV and Roku

I have both Roku Ultra 4 and 2017/2018 Roku streaming sticks.  If I turn off the TV while a Roku app is active and streaming will this accidentally leave streaming active in the background ?....and consuming bandwidth ?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
socantra
Level 7

Re: Turning off TV and Roku

Yes. If you want to reduce the consumption of bandwidth, you should return the Roku to the "Home" screen before turning off the TV.  Once you start a stream, the Roku does not know, or care, if you're watching.  It just keeps streaming.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
0 Kudos
RockFox
Level 7

I discovered this myself.  I recently subscribed to Roku channel “CBS All Access” .  I watched episode 1 of “Big Bang Theory” and then turned TV off.  The next day I turned on the TV and it went directly to episode 23 of the program.  So the Roku must have been streaming all night.  So be sure you hit the “Home” button on the Roku before you turn off your TV.
0 Kudos
LoisZ
Level 7

I’m new to this forum and joined because I want to buy a Roku Ultra but want to be sure I get the 2018 model. Nevertheless it seems as though everywhere I look they’re selling the 2017. How can I be sure to get the 2018? 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"LoisZ" wrote:
I’m new to this forum and joined because I want to buy a Roku Ultra but want to be sure I get the 2018 model. Nevertheless it seems as though everywhere I look they’re selling the 2017. How can I be sure to get the 2018? 

If it has an optical out, it's a 2016 version (model 4640). No optical, 2017 (4660). There is no 2018 models announced yet. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"LoisZ" wrote:

There is no 2018 model, yet. Latest model came out in 2017 before the Holiday season. Could be Roku might release another model this year. 2016 model had the optical port, if that is what you are looking for.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos