Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rathuweli

Thoughts on Roku? smart TV

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying my first smart TV. I'm thinking about buying a Roku and it seems like a great choice since it is the largest streaming provider in the U.S. and the OS looks user friendly. I know that they have more than 500,000+ movies and TVs on their platform which is very appealing.

I was wondering how does Roku compare to Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV? Do you think buying a Roku is a best option or no? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Thoughts on Roku? smart TV

Are you looking to buy a new TV and use a separate streaming device such as the Roku? Or are you looking to buy a Roku TV? A Roku is a streaming device. They are not a streaming provider. Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Fire TV are all streaming devices. From within each one you can add apps or channels. Roku calls them channels. You’re in a Roku community so of course it’s a little biased. But why don’t you do some research on your own and figure out which best suits your needs

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@rathuweli wrote:

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying my first smart TV. I'm thinking about buying a Roku and it seems like a great choice since it is the largest streaming provider in the U.S. and the OS looks user friendly. I know that they have more than 500,000+ movies and TVs on their platform which is very appealing.

I was wondering how does Roku compare to Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV? Do you think buying a Roku is a best option or no? Thanks.

Did your mentioning of the USA in your question have any specific reason? I ask because Roku does one thing that could impact someone outside a certain group of countries: They allow app developers to pick where the apps work. That means that if you're outside a Roku-supported region, then there's a chance some apps won't work. So, where are you?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
danitaz
Binge Watcher

I've had a Roku since probably version 1.  For me, I'd rather buy a TV for the TV features, and have a secondary streaming device.  I know that makes for more complications, but it gives you more flexibility in what you want to do.  We have a Roku, an Apple TV and a Chromecast stick (super geeky I guess), and we have a programmable remote, so that even with all of that, we only need one remote ever for our TV, Soundbar streaming devices, etc. 

If you are just looking for the "ease" of having everything in one device, I'd say go for a Roku TV.  I've stayed with family around the world that have different Smart TVs, and I always like the Roku TVs best (I also could be biased because I've had so many Rokus in my past).

My two cents

Danita

Roku Express, Roki Streaming Stick, Roku TV.
I'm not a Roku employee. Just a TV streaming geek since 2008!

If this post solves your problem you can help others find the solution too! Just click "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos