Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
obxa
Level 7

The jarring fireworks start-up sound....C'mon Roku

Just hung up with support (who were very cheerful and helpful.....) Apparently, there's no way to disable the start-up sound unless you leave your Roku box on all the time.  In my case I've set this up for my elderly Mom who needed her TV/ROKU on a one-switch system which she turns off when not viewing.  You can imagine how disturbing the fireworks sound is to anyone with sensitivity problems.  I've got friends with Autistic children who are extremely affected by sound, and realized how thoughtless this was to not offer an option to disable.      If you've forgotten to mute the volume upon shutting down, and the previous user (ike the elderly) had it way up, it's more than startling.  I've  even found myself caught off guard several times.   Most devices, computers, etc. offer the ability to turn off start up sounds. 

Am I the only one who thinks this needs to addressed with a simple option to disable?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: The jarring fireworks start-up sound....C'mon Roku

Maybe nobody has thought of asking for this before.. suggest it here and in the Feature Requests thread, and you're more likely to get it implememted. I think it's a good idea, even though the fireworks sound (exclusive to the Roku 3, I believe) doesn't bother me.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
obxa
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
Maybe nobody has thought of asking for this before.. suggest it here and in the Feature Requests thread, and you're more likely to get it implememted. I think it's a good idea, even though the fireworks sound (exclusive to the Roku 3, I believe) doesn't bother me.

Thanks  for the reply and suggestion.  I didn't realize this was exclusive to the Roku 3. I had bought a couple of them for family at the same time. Also bought the sticks as gifts, but have never actually heard one booting up.  Cheers.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Been a while since I've used a Roku standalone device, but none of my Roku TVs make any noise during boot.  I do remember one of my older units had like an elevator music while the O jumped and spinned and the K tapped its "foot" like it was waiting.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

My old 2 XS didn't have that sound either. I would agree that it was probably specific to the Roku 3. My 4 and Stick all have the quiet bouncy sound, while the Ultra has a different sound but again quite quiet. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

That intro screen was there because it's an Angry Birds tie-in, which came with the Roku 3 because of its motion sensing gaming remote..

I don't think Roku was being "thoughtless" by not having the option to silence the animation.. Maybe oversight is a better word. All kinds of devices make noise upon bootup, but I certainly wouldn't care if that boot screen went away.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
obxa
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
 Maybe oversight is a better word. All kinds of devices make noise upon bootup, but I certainly wouldn't care if that boot screen went away.

Agreed oversight is apt.  Though it seems a "first world problem", it's startling nonetheless for my 93 old mom if she hasn't muted the volume previously, or  if you're not expecting it. Just yesterday my wife got bit by it while we were visiting.   Much like websites that blast video, music, or sound fx when you first open.  My older Rokus did that bounce noise that was less intrusive.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

Curious about the set up - is her TV automatically set to the Roku input when it powers on, or is it a case of "last input used"?  Also, does she need to save power when the Roku isn't being watched? From the reports I've read, the Roku barely uses any power even when streaming, and as low as one-two watts when "idling".  My point is that you're not (most likely) going to get a fix on the startup sound, so perhaps the workaround(s) need to be employed.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
Curious about the set up - is her TV automatically set to the Roku input when it powers on, or is it a case of "last input used"?  Also, does she need to save power when the Roku isn't being watched? From the reports I've read, the Roku barely uses any power even when streaming, and as low as one-two watts when "idling".  My point is that you're not (most likely) going to get a fix on the startup sound, so perhaps the workaround(s) need to be employed.

"In my case I've set this up for my elderly Mom who needed her TV/ROKU on a one-switch system which she turns off when not viewing."

I'm guessing she has a switch on the wall, and all the components are plugged into a surge protector that is plugged into that switched outlet..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
obxa
Level 7

Yes exactly-  all hooked up to a strip,  with a switch on the wall.  Roku is the only source used.   Not able or desired to have the TV and things plugged in on all the time. I would concur the Roku doesn't really draw much power, so running an extension and leaving it on all the time is a simple solution.   I've been in the recording industry for years;  much as I don't want to turn this into a project-   I could make a workaround by inserting a compressor/limiter in the audio line, or put in cheap sound bar with it's own switch....or just get her a Roku stick. Smiley Happy     Thanks so much all for the input!!
0 Kudos