Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: The Reason Roku Does Not Support Lossless Audio Playback

Unfortunately FLAC doesn't solve the problem; the audio stream being sent out the HDMI port needs to be in a format that the receiving device (TV, AVR, etc.) can understand and decode. It is highly unlikely that any normal devices will understand 6 (or 8-) FLAC streams in the signal and decode them into the various surround sound channel required.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Actually I've seen some Blu Ray players that supported FLAC, but because most of my players don't I haven't bothered using it. I'd much rather have DTS-MA and TrueHD bitstreamed. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The Plex Server for Roku does handle FLAC lossless audio.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I suppose there's a valid point there; HDMI can carry multiple plain (uncompressed/unencoded) bitstreams at once, so it's possible the Roku could send 6 (or 8-) audio streams over the HDMI link, and then the TV/AVR would need to accept them and feed them to the various speakers. This would eliminate any decoder optimizations for room layout/speaker placement, though, since that would all have to be done before the conversion to FLAC.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

The current Roku firmware will directly decode multichannel flac, however it will mix it down to stereo 16 bit 48khz before sending it out the digital ports.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"RokuDale" wrote:
The current Roku firmware will directly decode multichannel flac, however it will mix it down to stereo 16 bit 48khz before sending it out the digital ports.

Nice to see a Roku rep finally respond in this thread. I only wish it had been a response to the original question about why no digital audio passthrough on any Roku device. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hmmmm - now, I knew that Rokus didn't do everything - but wasn't aware that they didn't pass through hires, no matter the codec or format.  Very disappointing...so, everything in audio gets down converted to something no better than Cd quality?  Every audio format?  If so, any suggestions for alternative streamers?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

I was told here once before, when asking about multichannel flac, that the roku will pass through ac3 from video without downsampling, so it will do so in some instances, just not for purely audio codecs. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

"chadwick404" wrote:
Hmmmm - now, I knew that Rokus didn't do everything - but wasn't aware that they didn't pass through hires, no matter the codec or format.  Very disappointing...so, everything in audio gets down converted to something no better than Cd quality?  Every audio format?  If so, any suggestions for alternative streamers?

Most lossless codecs are not downconverted. You simply get no audio. This includes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master Audio. The audio must be transcoded at the source, or the file must be recoded with a different audio codec. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Some good news to share! In OS 9.0, we've added support for DTS-HD Master 7.1 audio pass through on our current Roku player product lineup (www.roku.com/products). Files with this audio format should now be compatible for pass-through to an A/V receiver that supports decoding of this format. 

Thanks again for the feedback here. I've shared this with our team for future considerations. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos